Sports Roundup: Oct. 26, 2015

Women’s hockey

Bob Kenneally ’90 opened his career as women’s hockey head coach this weekend with the team’s trip to Auburn, Maine. But the Kenneally era got off to a sour start, as Bruno (0-2-0) fell to the Black Bears twice, 4-0 Friday and 4-1 Saturday.

The score of the first game was somewhat deceiving, as the Bears trailed 2-0 with 28 seconds to play, and then Maine (4-4-0, 2-2-0 Hockey East) scored an empty-net goal and added another four seconds before the final horn. Maine outshot Brown by a hefty 33-14 margin, but starting goalie Monica Elvin ’17 acquitted herself well, making 29 saves on 32 shots for a respectable .906 save percentage.

Bruno struck first in Saturday’s rematch, as Bridget Carey ’19 roofed a breakaway past Maine goalie Meghann Treacy’s right shoulder for her first career goal. But the Black Bears took over from there, scoring twice in the first period and once in the second and third to run away with the game. Bruno narrowed the shot margin the second time around, but it was still on the wrong side of the 30-18 margin.

The Bears will open their home and conference schedules next weekend against No. 8 Quinnipiac and Princeton.

Equestrian

The equestrian team tied for second at the Roger Williams University IHSA Show in Portsmouth Saturday, with standout performances from Kabisa Baughen ’17 and Noel Park ’16.

Baughen and Park earned blue ribbons with first-place finishes in open fences and walk trot, respectively. Despite finishing behind UMass Dartmouth and tying with Roger Williams and Johnson and Wales, the Bears found that their 33 team points across eight divisions were enough to keep them in first place in the IHSA Zone 1 Region 1.

Men’s water polo

After winning the Ivy League title last week, the Bears had a less successful slate of games in Santa Clara, California, this weekend. The No. 11 Bears (17-6, 8-0 CWPA) went 2-3 at the Santa Clara Bronco Invitational, dropping their first three games but rebounding to win their final two Sunday.

Bruno fell to the hosts, No. 16 Santa Clara, 13-11 in overtime Friday despite a hat trick from Luke Irwin ’17. On Saturday, six different Bears scored in a 9-6 defeat to No. 10 UC Davis, and four goals each from Matty Gallas ’16 and reigning Herald Athlete of the Week Yahel Murvitz-Lahav ’17 were not enough as Brown lost to Cal Baptist, 13-11.

But Bruno finally redeemed itself Sunday, riding goals from eight different players over two games to a 10-7 win over Fresno Pacific and a 10-8 win over No. 13 Air Force.

The Bears will have four more conference games next weekend before hosting the CWPA Northern Division Championship the weekend of Nov. 7–8.