Letters to the Editor

Letter: Meyer’s ’17 column is offensive

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

To the Editor:

I found Daniel Meyer’s ’17 column, “Lamp/Bear sucks,” of Sept. 16 offensive.

I’m fairly certain that as many people enjoy Urs Fischer’s sculpture as do not. Art is often controversial.

To defame Steve Cohen’s kindness in lending the work to the University as “a monument to Cohen’s ego and influence” is shameful and wrong.

Cohen is an honest, generous person undeserving of Meyer’s rant. His donations of hundreds of millions of dollars to universities, hospitals and the benefit of returning veterans lay claim to that fact.

I assume Meyer doesn’t believe our Constitution’s presumption of innocence. Let us hope he never stands falsely accused.

Meyer fails on all fronts. As an art critic, as a judge and jury and as a responsible journalist.

Marty Granoff P’93

1. GrartyManoff says:

Can i have some money?

2. I agree with Mr. Granoff’s remarks. What sort of university would Brown be if allegations were enough for the University to turn its back on members of its community? It is the SEC’s job to prove its accusations and for the courts to impose discipline.

The success of Lamp/Bear as a work of art is reflected in its ability to provoke Mr. Meyer’s reaction. An indication of the failure of Mr. Meyer as a critical thinker is his inability to sufficiently distinguish between Brown University and the judicial system.

How many significant works of public art – excluding monuments to athletic teams – incorporate a figure of a bear? Very few. Lamp/Bear is nicely suited as a gift to Brown.

Yes. Lamp/Bear is a disconcerting artwork. The teddy bear cheekily reflects some of the juvenile qualities of student life, and asserts that perhaps Brown’s campus is not quite as “safe a space” as some today might believe or desire. The bear’s lamp is an illuminating fixture on campus.

3. Joachim Krueger says:

I disagree with Mr. Granoff and Alum ’97 (why stay anonymous, Alum?). These two do what they are accusing Mr. Meyer of doing: arguing cynically and by suggestion. Mr. Meyer exercised his right to express his opinion. He has not engaged in slander or the propagation of demonstrable falsehoods. Journalism, like art, can be controversial. Granoff’s and Alum’s (and mine) reactions are evidence.

• Anonymity is my prerogative, Prof. Krueger. How does posting anonymously undermine the strength of an argument? What relevant rhetorical purpose does your parenthetical questing about anonymity serve?

My remark is not suggestive, but explicit in its criticism of Mr. Meyer’s opinion. I make no accusations that the original letter is slanderous. Nor do I, in contesting Mr. Meyer’s position, deny that he has a right to express his opinions. I happen to believe he is wrong. His argument proceeds from mistaken assumptions about the workings of the judicial system and the Brown community.