Arts & Culture

‘Welcome to Guantanamo: Beyond Gitmo’ exhibit arrives at University

Debi Cornwall’s Gitmo-focused exhibit tackles life of inmates, politics of detention camp

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Playful photographs of Guantanamo Bay gift shop items and plaintive portraits of former inmates are strikingly paired in the John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage’s latest installation, “Welcome to Camp America: Beyond Gitmo.” An exhibition by photographer and former civil rights-lawyer Debi Cornwall ’95, “Welcome to Camp America: Beyond Gitmo” employs these darkly comic contrasts as critical commentary.

Cornwall’s photographs explore life within the United States’ Guantanamo Bay detention camp. Welding together politics and aesthetics, the exhibition comes as the next installment in the John Nicholas Brown Center’s tradition of displaying politically charged art. The exhibit, which seeks to reveal injustice and mistreatment, joins two other public programs focused on investigating the military prison’s history, legacy and future. The center is the second institution in the United States to display Cornwall’s installation.

The John Nicholas Brown Center “is really interested in how culture and art intersect to address social activism and social justice issues,” said Marisa Brown, assistant director of programs at the center. “Debi’s work is one of the best examples of how you can use art to address these issues.”

Cornwall explicitly centers her art around activism. The photographer spent 12 years working as a civil rights lawyer, using DNA analysis to free wrongfully imprisoned people. Though Cornwall parted ways with the occupation in 2014, she utilizes her art as a vehicle through which to call into question power structures’ unwarranted assaults on individuals’ civil rights.

“After stepping away from the life of a litigator, I was still consumed with the same kind of questions regarding power and its effects on individuals,” Cornwall said. “But I wanted to explore it in a very different way that invited connection and inquiry.”

“Guantanamo was an obvious choice for me,” Cornwall said. “The innocent men held for years there without charge are very similar to my exoneree clients in the United States. But unlike those DNA exoneree clients, the men in Guantanamo never receive a piece of paper saying they didn’t commit the crime.”

Reflecting a law that explicitly prohibits taking photographs of current Guantanamo inmates’ faces, Cornwall sticks strictly to photographing her now-released subjects’ backs. For Cornwall, the artistic decision underscores the dehumanizing toil inherent in incarceration at Guantanamo.

“One artist that informs my work is Trevor Paglen,” Cornwall said. “He similarly finds way to visualize the inherently not-visual.”

The inmates’ anguish is juxtaposed with flippant gift shop items on display, including a stuffed turkey vulture and a bobble head modeled after the likeness of Fidel Castro, creating a jarring effect for the viewer. The bleak back portraits contrast further with photographs that depict the comparatively relaxed lifestyles of military men on duty in Guantanamo.

“It’s really interesting work,” said Esther Whitfield, associate professor of comparative literature and Hispanic studies.  “It strikes me as a subtle commentary on the politics of Guantanamo and as a moving tribute to the communities that formed there, as well as to the way people look for home in places that are far from, and very unlike, their homes.”

Cornwall credits the development of her artistry to Brown, where she graduated with a double concentration in political science and modern culture and media.

“I’m happy to see that Brown has become more of itself since I was last here,” Cornwall said. “The students and professors I’ve spent time with this week are as thoughtful and engaged as ever. And I’m happy to (see) more engagement with communities outside of Brown — engagement that addresses issues of national concern.”

Topics: ,

1. Montgomery Granger says:

Ms. Corwall claims the U.S. military detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was full of “innocent” men, but how can someone be innocent or guilty if they are never charged with a crime? During WWII the U.S. held over 400,000 lawful combatant POW’s without one call for extra legal privileges for them. What’s different now? All Gitmo detainees were at least unlawful combatants, and, as per the Geneva Conventions and the Law of Land Warfare, need not be charged or tried, and may be held “until the end of hostilities.” This is lawful and just. In fact, there isn’t even a moral comparison between how detainees are treated at Gitmo and how our enemies treat their captives. Remember, 730 detainees have been RELEASED from Gitmo, and NONE have been beheaded, executed, blown up, hacked to death, dragged naked and lifeless through the streets, drowned or burned alive, all things our enemy has done to us and/or our allies. Gitmo may not be perfect, but ICRC physicians I worked with there and in Iraq told me, “No one does [detention operations] better than the U.S.” Ms. Cornwall’s exhibit, rather than a commentary on injustice, is an example of her ignorance of international wartime law and military justice. Her intended message of exposing social injustice only exposes her own bias, lack of patriotism and wrongheaded expression of misinformation. Sincerely, Montgomery J. Granger, Major, U.S. Army, Retired, former ranking U.S. Army Medical Department officer, Joint Detainee Operations Group, Joint Task Force 160, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, FEB – JUN 2002, and author, “Saving Grace at Guantanamo Bay: A Memoir of a Citizen Warrior.”

Comments are closed. If you have corrections to submit, you can email The Herald at herald@browndailyherald.com.