Grad Student Council to bring speakers to campus

GSC announces speakers, plans to hold elections at November meeting

The Graduate Student Council announced at its meeting Wednesday evening that they invited two speakers to campus to give talks later this month.

Marie Solange Lopes, a teaching fellow  at Stonehill College and founder of blog “The Corporate Sister,” will speak to grad students about personal finance Oct. 17.

The scheduled event comes after the GSC discussed having a personal finance workshop for graduate students at its September meeting, The Herald previously reported. Lopes’s talk will cover topics such as spending habits and tax basis, with a section specifically tailored for international students,  said GSC Vice President for Advocacy Melaine Ferdinand-King GS. Graduate students will be able to submit questions for Lopes before her presentation.

Later in the month, co-host of NPR podcast “Code Switch” Shereen Marisol Meraji will also come speak at the University at GSC’s invitation. Meraji will be the inaugural guest in the Council’s Distinguished Speaker Series, which aims to bring speakers to campus who specifically cater to graduate students, The Herald previously reported. Contracting Meraji cost the GSC between $10,000 and $12,000, GSC President Alastair Tulloch GS said.

The Council will also launch a pilot program that will allow grad students to present their research to first-year students at the Warren Alpert Medical School. The “Research in Medicine Flashtalks” pilot is a collaboration that “bridges the gap between the Graduate School and Medical School,” Tulloch said. The program will allow graduate students whose research corresponds to the curriculum of first-year medical students to present their research at the end of Medical School lectures. There are currently three of these talks scheduled for the fall semester, he added.

Tulloch also said that the University will host a forum on Tuesday, Oct. 8 to discuss the University’s decision to review the Advisory Committee on Corporate Responsibility in Investment Policy, and potentially replace it with a different body, called the Advisory Committee on University Resources Management. Faculty discussed organizing a forum at their May meeting following criticism over the proposed replacement of ACCRIP, The Herald previously reported. Tulloch said the forum is part of an effort to make investment policy more transparent.

GSC will hold its annual elections for the ten positions on its executive board when the Council meets Nov. 6. Graduate Student Departmental Representatives will vote to elect leaders.