BuDS says changes are here to stay after positive student feedback

From panini grills and street signs to meal credits and local produce, changes implemented by Dining Services this semester have received largely favorable student reviews, much to the satisfaction of BuDS staff members.

The new meal plan, introduced in September, initially created surging crowds at the Sharpe Refectory, and the introduction of local produce through the Sustainable Food Initiative challenged BuDS to reconsider traditional supply methods. But initial glitches were minimal and, according to BuDS Director Gretchen Willis, the changes will stay in place.

"I don't plan to backtrack on any of them," Willis said. "I think collectively they've made some positive changes for our customers, which is what our goal was."

The amended meal plan allows students to use three meal credits a day at any time of their choosing rather than within meal zone times. Willis said 200 additional students are on meal plan this semester, a welcome increase after declining numbers in previous semesters. Still, some students are not fully aware of the way the plan works.

"When I go to the Gate and they ask if I want to use points or credit, I don't really know what they mean," said Nick Clifford '08. "So sometimes I just starve."

Regardless of how well it is understood, Willis said the late-night option of the new plan has been enormously popular with customers. The extended hours at Josiah's and the Gate until 2 a.m., however, have sparked complaints from student BuDS workers over the increased strain of late cleanup and drunken customers.

Willis said she hopes the employees' experience can be improved. She called better working conditions a priority for next semester, but said that the new closing time is so popular that reneging it seems unlikely.

"We want to make sure that jobs in dining remain attractive to students, because their contribution is really important," Willis said. "But we're busy between 1 and 2 a.m., so it's an important addition from a customer perspective. We're pretty committed to keeping the hours until 2 a.m."

In addition to more late-night dinners, meals at the Ratty have increased, and the number of purchased meals actually eaten rose 6 percent in the first week of classes to 86 percent - a number that has remained consistent the entire semester.

"Students are definitely utilizing their meals more aggressively, because now you can swipe in, eat your meal, and say to the cashier, 'Hey, I'd like to take a to-go meal,'" said Dining Services Associate Director Virginia Dunleavy.

To gauge the success of the Ratty changes, Dunleavy observes plate waste and records waiting times for each line three days a week. She said that after some initial confusion and congestion, the rerouted lines have cut waiting times by a few minutes. But that may be misleading because many students wait in multiple lines, she added. Dunleavy also monitors student response in focus groups and casual conversation.

"People aren't shy about letting us know what they think," Willis said. "Some people are like, 'Don't take away my cereal! Don't move my salad dressings!'"

Consistent requests for the return of daily grilled cheese sandwiches caused Willis to put them back on the menu.

Some of the most favorable student feedback has been about the Sustainable Food Initiative and the new Roots and Shoots line in the Ratty.

"That's all my friends and I eat," said Elizabeth Fison '07, referring to Roots and Shoots. "The vegetables are so much better than they were last year."

Since September, BuDS has served a host of locally grown produce, provided local cider and cereal in the carts at the Sciences Library, Rockefeller Library and Center for Information Technology, and made Rhody Fresh dairy milk available in the Campus Market and other locations - all as part of the Sustainable Food Initiative. Though many students expressed support for the initiative, most thought its mission was to provide only organic rather than locally-grown food, and said they weren't aware of the origins of their meals. "I don't really notice (the locally-grown food)," said Hubert Tse '06.

Louella Hill '04, system coordinator for the initiative, said she is working on spreading awareness and looking into expanding local products to Jo's and the Gate. Possibilities include hummus and pizza.

"Student demand is everything," Hill said. "The more they verbalize it, the more effective we can be."

Next semester, BuDS will focus on creating a vegan salad bar, a more environmentally friendly to-go program, new menu items and an updated Ivy Room, Willis said, in addition to continuing support of the Sustainable Food Initiative.

"We're trying to get (sustainability) to be a culture in our department, so that all of our employees think this way all the time," Willis said. "We have a commitment to continuing this ... as a way to showcase our commitment to sustainability."

Herald staff writer Mary-Catherine Lader '08 can be reached at herald@browndailyherald.com.