Top public park

India Point Park -- 109 India St.

OK, we'll admit it. TopRI tends to be a little College Hill-heavy. But India Point Park earns the title of best public park independent of its proximity to the Brown campus (although we're not complaining about that, either). India Point may lack the beneficent if somewhat creepy Roger Williams statue that overlooks the city from Prospect Park, but when it comes to small-town atmosphere in the ... umm ... big city, India Point is unbeatable. This good-size city park that spans the edge of the east side of Providence from the Seekonk River to the Providence River is never short of visitors. On sunny days, you can find picnickers sprawled across the grass and kids rolling down the hill by the dock or playing in one of India Point's two playgrounds. Fishermen cast their lines into the Providence River from the dock every day, rain or shine. And on weekends, soccer enthusiasts congregate at the east end of the park to play, watch and set up barbecue pits. India Point Park is also a favorite of runners. Although the jogging path is not extensive, it does provide a nice starting-off point for longer runs or a pleasant route for running laps.

But India Point's real draw is its understated but unsurpassed views. Its unique location provides photographers and casual pedestrians alike beautiful and varied views. You can watch rowers glide down the Seekonk River or watch for the occasional blinking of headlights across the river after dusk. The main outlook spot, the wooden dock, offers beautiful views of the Providence River and the orange lights of cranes unloading ships in the night. India Point's simple, offbeat charms - like the footbridge that spans Route 6 and connects the park to George M. Cohan Boulevard - lack the grandeur of some other Rhode Island parks. But where else can you pause directly over the freeway to snap a picture of Providence's signature smokestacks?