Volleyball pair makes mark in Brown record book but still refuses to boast

Although Elvina Kung '05 and Leigh Martin '06 are likely All-Ivy selections and hold Brown volleyball records in digs and assists, respectively, you wouldn't know it by talking to them.

"I don't really keep track of these things," said Kung, who broke the Brown season record for digs earlier this season. "I don't like to brag."

But people might think that Kung, the libero, or defensive specialist, who leads all of NCAA Division I in digs per game, would at least feel a little bit satisfied with her accomplishments.

"It's a cool feeling," she finally admitted after some pestering.

Head Coach Diane Short's description is consistent with Kung's reluctance to boast. Calling her an "all out, all the time" player, Short complimented Kung on being a team player.

"She's always been a really unselfish player," said Short, adding that Kung has played several positions for the team in the past four years. "If she had been libero the past couple of years, her dig totals would have been outrageous."

Not only is Kung breaking Brown records, but she has a chance of breaking NCAA records as well. Kung is currently averaging 7.09 digs per game. If she can continue her pace for the final five games of the season, Kung will smash the season record of 6.66 digs per game set last year by Sarah Gascon of Southeastern Louisiana University.

"I think she has the capabilities of having the all-time record of Division I," Short said.

Not that Kung is letting that go to her head. The biology concentrator from Long Island, N.Y., said that after graduation, she'll take a year or two off and then think about applying to medical school. She said continuing her career at the next level of volleyball is unlikely.

"I'm too short," Kung said, when asked if she would play professionally or for the national team. But she added she decided to consider playing in beach volleyball after participating in an Association of Volleyball Professionals tournament in Newport last summer.

"I would love to go on the AVP tour; it's a possibility," she said.

Like Kung, Martin is a bit bashful about sharing her achievements. The setter from Freelton, Ontario, is the current Brown record holder for assists per game and is second in total career assists, notching her 3,000th earlier this week. She said that like Kung, she also doesn't keep much of a tab on her record-breaking feats.

"When I'm playing, I'm not worrying about 'Oh, sweet, that's another set assist for me,'" said Martin. "I didn't play to get into the record books, it just happens to be that I'm making it in there."

Breaking records is not a new thing for Martin - she broke her first Brown record during the first league game in her freshman year. In her first Ivy League game, Martin notched 73 assists, tying her for fifth all-time at Brown.

"When that happened, it was like, 'Wow, I can do this,'" Martin said. She would go on to finish that season with the third-highest assist total in Brown history.

Short lauded Martin for her work ethic and her dedication to staying in great shape, but said the key to Martin's success is her athleticism.

"It's really her speed," Short said. "She's just quick to getting to all the balls."

Despite Kung and Martin's record-setting year, their extraordinary efforts have not always translated into wins for the volleyball team (7-13, 4-5 Ivy). Although the Bears still mathematically have a chance to win the Ivy League title, it appears unlikely.

Martin said that although it is improbable that the Bears will take the Ivy League, she looks forward to next year.

"We can really prove to everybody and show that we can be contenders next year," she said.

Short said Martin will play a huge role for the team next season.

"I'm expecting her to be even more of a leader and someone who really takes control of the match," she said.

But although Martin can still look forward to another year, Kung will play the last two home games of her college career this weekend.

Short said Kung will be hard to replace.

"You're going to miss someone who's going to be averaging seven digs per game," she said. "It's going to be a big loss. Elvina, just like Leigh, is an extremely hard worker. ... She's a fiery competitor and she hates to lose."

Kung was feeling sentimental about leaving the team.

"It's exciting and sad at the same time," she said. "I'm going to miss being competitive and the road trips and getting to know the freshmen."

Kung is disappointed about not being able to win the Ivy League this year. But although she doesn't like to admit it, she will have the consolation of being the Brown record holder for season digs.

"You might as well go out with a bang," she said.