Brown students accounted for after tsunami

In the wake of the Dec. 26 tsunami that struck countries on the Indian Ocean, the Brown community confirmed the safety of its students abroad and began raising money to send to the affected regions.

According to Kendall Brostuen, assistant director of Brown-sponsored international programs, 27 students were studying in countries that border the Indian Ocean, including Tanzania, Madagascar, India and Thailand.

The safety of all of these students has been confirmed, Brostuen said. "They were accounted for shortly after the tsunami" by Brown's on-site colleagues and resident directors at international study programs in the four countries involved.

All programs were "very, very diligent" about confirming student safety and contacting the University, Brostuen added.

The University also attempted to contact students with overseas addresses in the affected region to confirm their safety and the safety of their families. No reports of casualties among Brown students or alumni have been reported, but the Office of Campus Life and Student Services and the Office of Alumni Relations continues to check on their status, President Ruth Simmons wrote in a Jan. 26 message to the Brown community.

Simmons urged students, faculty and staff to contribute "direct and ongoing support" to relief efforts.

In the vein of Simmons' message, student organizations have arranged a variety of fundraisers since arriving back on campus.

Wednesday night, a Sigma Chi-organized party at downtown club Lot 41, RELIEF, raised over $3,000. This was more than $2,000 over the goal, fraternity member Xaykham Khamsyvoravong '06 wrote in an e-mail to The Herald. Funds will be targeted to victims in Sri Lanka and India, according to posters promoting the event.

The Student Activities Office is working with campus groups including the South Asian Students Association, Brown Key Society and the Brown Band to organize a relief benefit for the night of Feb. 26 in Alumnae Hall. Organizers plan to have swing and jazz music and a silent auction, SASA President Preethi Guniganti '05 said.

This Saturday, around 15 members of Brown Tae Kwon Do will travel to the Smithfield dojang of Peter Lee M.D. '05 and Song Park '93 to participate in a "Kick-a-thon" fundraiser, according to club President Sharon David '06. Members have raised money from friends and family. Any funds raised for the American Red Cross International Response Fund will be matched by CVS, David said. The club will be asking for additional support in the Post Office today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.