Hillel hosts unique fusion of art, religion, culture

Soulful vocal harmonies combined with powerful photographs to captivate the audience at the packed opening of "Abayudaya: The Jews of Uganda" at Hillel Thursday night.

The musical style was distinctly African, but soon many audience members found themselves wanting to sing along, as they knew every word of a song's Hebrew lyrics. In one vibrant photograph of a smiling Ugandan boy with his 102-year-old great-grandmother, they recognized the decorations on the child's head covering to be a menorah and a Star of David, images most knew intimately.

The Abayudaya people of eastern Uganda are distinctly African, both culturally and genetically, yet they have been devout Jews for nearly a century, demonstrating profound dedication to their faith even in times of virulent oppression and anti-Semitism.

Rabbi Jeffrey Summit, an ethnomusicologist at Tufts University, traveled to Uganda with photographer Richard Sobol to document this unique community, ultimately producing a book, a Grammy-nominated album and a photography exhibit. Thursday, Summit and Sobel shared their experience through an engaging and thought-provoking slide show, which was supplemented by both Abayudaya music and commentary about the Abayudaya way of life.

The highlight of the evening was Sobol's illuminating photography, which proved to be the most powerful testimony to the uniqueness of the Abayudaya experience.

The photographs illustrated "the seriousness" of the Abayudaya experience, said Constance Small, a Rhode Island School of Design student, in that "you really see this is more than a religion - it is this people's lifestyle."

"The colors are so saturated and positive and happy, it makes the images uplifting. Unbelievably beautiful images," said Etan Wenger, another RISD student.

The images illustrated the singular fusion of African culture and Judaism that the Abayudaya people epitomize. One particularly interesting shot showed a group of boys playing barefoot soccer in front of their high school, which had several large Stars of David spray-painted on its walls.

Judaism first emerged among the Abayudaya in 1919. Chief Semei Kakungulu was deeply moved by the Luganda translation of the Hebrew Bible that fell into his hands during a period of British colonization of Uganda in the early 20th century. He converted to Judaism, circumcising himself and his sons and sharing the religion with all the members of his tribe.

"It's interesting to see how Judaism spreads, because Jews don't proselytize," said Andrew Shield '07.

To this day, most Abayudaya Jews read and study the Torah in Hebrew, circumcise their sons, observe the Sabbath every week and celebrate all other holidays recognized by Jews around the world.

During the oppressive and bitterly anti-Semitic regime of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin, the Abayudaya's synagogues were destroyed, and their practice of Judaism was outlawed. Nonetheless, most Abayudaya remained faithful, practicing surreptitiously in candle-lit caves.

"It was interesting to see a group of people who embraced Judaism without knowing much about it. Even in the face of adversity, they had to maintain their Jewish identity," said Branko Kolvek '05.

Matthew Meyer '94, who initiated Brown's connection with the Abayudaya people when he encountered them while traveling in Africa in 1992, talked to the audience about his dedication to the cause of helping the Abayudaya.

Thanks to financial contributions over the years from Brown students inspired by Meyer, a new synagogue was built several years ago for the Abayudaya, which has become a centerpiece of their religious life.

Brooke Bocast GS, an anthropology student who recently traveled to Mbale, Uganda, to visit the Abayudaya people, gave a presentation about the dreams and aspirations of young Abayudaya girls today.

"I want to be a doctor so I can help my community - we only have one doctor," said a girl interviewed by Bocast.

At the end of the night, it was the evocative images and music that touched audience members most.

The artwork was "a unique fusion of Jewish and African culture. I never would have imagined it," said Nate Sloan '08.