Infrastructure overhaul needed to move building plans forward

Because of President Ruth Simmons' Plan for Academic Enrichment and recent contributions from alums, the physical landscape of the Brown campus is undergoing a radical transformation. In addition to more obvious changes such as the construction of new buildings, the University's infrastructure is also expanding. The result will be an innovative system in which energy and utilities are sourced more efficiently and cost-effectively.

According to Richard Spies, executive vice president for planning and senior adviser to the president, these efforts could not have been more timely. "Both in terms of (the infrastructure's) age and its capacity, it is approaching the end of its useful life," he said.

Spies added that much of the University's infrastructure has not been updated since the 1960s. Even though "the system has served us well," changes are needed to accommodate the increasing energy needs of the campus. He said these changes are driven in part by the consumption habits of today's generation of college students. Though in the past students might have brought a small television and fridge to campus, today dormitories are filled with a variety of electronics ranging from computers to DVD players.

In an effort to accommodate these needs, the University began planning the infrastructure overhaul in the beginning of 2002. The majority of the work to implement the changes is expected to begin this summer and will take place over the next several years, he said.

The planning process has been a deliberate one because of the large number of details that have to be considered. "(It makes) you realize how complicated institutions like universities are," Spies said. "We're like a little city."

John Noonan, vice president of Facilities Management, agreed. Construction includes not just creating new buildings, but making sure "we have enough power to plug them in," he said.

The majority of Brown's "little city" is heated by about seven miles of heating pipes, Noonan said. Upgrading the heating system will contribute to the bulk of the infrastructure project's cost, Spies said.

Another concern is energy conservation. Currently, the University spends $1,200 per hour on heating oil, electricity and other utilities, Noonan said.

According to Noonan, one way the University conserves energy is through its green building initiatives, which are an essential part of the design criteria. The construction of the Life Sciences building is one example of how these initiatives are being implemented. Unlike other high-rises, which have black roofing membranes, the Life Sciences building will have a white one, which will reflect heat and lower air conditioning costs.

Kurt Teichert, who is a resource efficiency manager at Facilities Management and an adjunct lecturer with the Center for Environmental Studies, said that the University is also hoping to improve efficiency in other ways. He said that the system will soon allow for several buildings to use the same equipment. For example, a chiller housed in one building will be able to provide air conditioning among a group of several buildings.

Overall, compared to some other schools, "We have quite low energy consumption," Noonan said.