Drug Resource Center opens in Faunce

On Monday the Drug Resource Center opened its doors to the Brown community with hopes of establishing itself as a safe place for students to receive accurate information about drug use.

The mission of the DRC, a project of Students for Sensible Drug Policy in collaboration with Health Services, is to serve as an "accessible, confidential and non-judgmental space" where students can receive science-based information about the effects of drug and alcohol use, according to the DRC mission statement. The center does not provide counseling to students, but it can offer referrals to other campus or citywide treatment services.

"I think it is consistent with the University's mission of having students educate themselves and make informed decisions," said Trevor Stutz '06.5, president of SSDP.

"We have a dual function of providing information and serving as a portal into other resources at Brown," Stutz said.

When students enter the DRC's Faunce 203 space, which doubles as the office of SSDP, they receive a sheet of information detailing the mission statement of the center and the limits of confidentiality. The center will only disclose information if a student is "taking part in a behavior or activity that may seriously endanger himself/herself or others," according to the statement. The center is legally required to report students who discuss attempting suicide, murder, drugging someone against their will and selling drugs.

Currently the center is staffed by four Brown students: Caroline Jordi '06, Michelle Joy '07, Amelia Rosenman '08 and Andrew Shield '07. All have experience in peer counseling or are knowledgeable in issues surrounding addiction and substance abuse.

The volunteers have undergone three training sessions led by professors who specialize in alcohol and addiction studies, addiction psychiatry and chemical dependency. In the sessions, the volunteers have role-played and have been taught the harm reduction philosophy of drug use, which is similar to the education of safe sex versus abstinence, according to Jordi.

Throughout their time working at the DRC, the volunteers will meet among themselves and with Frances Mantak, director of health education, to get feedback, receive ongoing training and find ways to improve their work at the center.

The DRC received the information it will provide to students from various sources, including professors and existing services at the University; a drug resource center at the University of California, Berkeley; and an organization called "Dance Safe."

The center has not requested funding from the University but has received full support and approval from Margaret Klawunn, interim dean for campus life, and Edward Wheeler, director of Health Services.

The DRC is open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 3-5 p.m.

"We're really excited that the Drug Resource Center has opened, and it's an example of how student groups and the administration can work together," Stutz said.