Business moving fast for mobile food vendors

Offering everything from lemonade and General Tso's chicken to Mexican food and Italian cuisine, a convoy of food trucks has descended on College Hill in recent years to provide students with an ever-expanding array of cheap food options. At any hour of the day, hungry students are able to find a truck for any of their cravings that the Ratty cannot satisfy.

One of the newer additions is the Chinese food truck, parked weekdays across from the Sciences Library on Thayer Street. The truck, which made its debut last year, is run by Tom Liang, owner of the Chinese Iron Wok in Seekonk, Mass. Liang makes the food fresh at his restaurant every morning before arriving on campus at 11:15 a.m. The day usually ends for Liang when he runs out of food at 3:00 or 3:30 p.m.

Business "has been good and getting better every day," Liang said. The trucks are able to sell food at lower prices than traditional restaurants because there are far fewer overhead costs. There is no rent to pay and service is faster because the food is already prepared, making for a higher profit margin, he said. An average entrée from Liang costs $4.

Although some of the offerings are new, food trucks have long decorated the College Hill landscape. The New England Frozen Lemonade truck has become a nearly permanent landmark at the intersection of Brown and George streets, operating between April and October for the past 50 years. The company also often sets up extra trucks during Brown events and has been known to provide free lemonade on special occasions.

"Everyone knows this truck," said Jack Kelly, a 30-year employee of the company.

During his time working at the truck, Kelly has waited on customers from the mundane to the famous, including the Kennedy family (John F. Kennedy Jr. graduated in 1983); Jane Fonda, whose daughter, Vanessa Vadim, graduated in 1991; and the daughter of Diana Ross, Tracee Ross '94.

Upperclassmen at Brown have seen a number of trucks come and go over the years. Many reminisce fondly about the Damascus Truck that used to sell hungry Keeney Quadrangle residents late-night falafels and cheese fries.

But many students appreciate the new daytime food trucks.

"The Chinese food truck is a different class of food truck - it's actually used for meals," said Scott Seiver '07. "It doesn't do the 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. shift."

"For the price it's really good, and it's a nice change from the Ratty," agreed Kenji Tagaya '08, a frequent customer of the Chinese truck.

Others, however, are more hesitant to participate in the trend. "I've never eaten from them, but they seem sketchy," said Craig Convissar '06.

Such concerns aside, Liang assures students that all food trucks have to comply with federal, state and local health and sanitation regulations. In his truck Liang proudly displays his license to operate a mobile food establishment, in addition to the seven other licenses Rhode Island food vendors are required to have.

According to Kelly, all New England Frozen Lemonade is 100 percent natural and is stocked daily from the company's main station, where it is made.

Though the food trucks have no formal agreement with the University to operate around its property, owners have formed relationships with Brunonians over the years.

On Monday, Alykhan Karim '06, whom Liang described as a "loyal customer," approached to order his lunch.

"This guy hooks me up," said Karim, before walking off.