"36 Views" is an ambitious, deft rumination on authenticity and culture

In questioning the meaning of authenticity, Sock and Buskin's fall production "36 Views" raises questions of history, aestheticism, emotion and the philosophical yearning for the real. Ambitious in its intentions, "36 Views" saves itself from being too heavy through deft humor and skillful acting.

The Leeds Theater play, which debuted to laughter and applause Thursday night, revolves around the discovery of a valuable diary that calls into question many of the assumptions about Asian history concerning gender roles, the relationship between thinking and writing and the sequence of everyday life in the 11th century. Art dealers, scholars and collectors embark on a quest to determine the artifact's authenticity, which proves to be not as straightforward a task as they had imagined.

The character of Setsuko Hearn, a scholar of Asian art played brilliantly by Zoe Chao '08, learns that tangible evidence alone cannot be used to determine an object's authenticity. Hearn's romantic and professional life slips away as she yearns to discover what it means for art to be beautiful and authentic.

The character of artist Claire Tsong, played by Mikoki Akemi Thelwell '08, questions authenticity from an aesthetic point of view - arguing that an imitation of a well-known work is still an original by the artist that produced it. Thelwell's sassy attitude, attire and friendly banter differentiate her from the scholarly voices of the other actors.

Overall, the characters were well played, if not over the top in some scenes. Steven Levenson '06, playing the yes-man John Bell, was a crowd-pleaser, bringing an appreciable humor to the play by supporting the authenticity of the diary.

The charming, Gatsby-esque art dealer Darius Wheeler, played by Jon Magaziner '07, personifies the dichotomy between art's aesthetic and monetary value. While he can instantly determine whether a work is authentic or counterfeit, Darius has more trouble deciding what it means for art to be beautiful. Magaziner acted out deep cultural paradoxes with surprising ease and wit.

The actors played multiple roles, shifting from contemporary characters - art historians, buyers, professors - to 11th-century lovers in an imperial court. Changes in voice distinguished between past and present - as the modern-day characters chanted the words of the diary, the scene changed into an enactment of the 11th-century scene described in the text.

The set, made of sliding wood panels, allowed for a swift transition between past and present, indoor and out. The beauty of the painted blue floor, unnoticed until it was dramatically lit to suggest the pond of the troubled antique court, successfully conveyed the emotive and temporal shifts between history and present day.

Dan Hernandez '06, who served as dramaturge and actor in the production, said the Sock and Buskin board chose the culturally diverse play for its Asian point of view, a "different sensibility."

Sock and Buskin produces plays directed exclusively by faculty. Written in 1999 by Asian-American playwright Naomi Iizuka, "36 Views" is directed by Professor of Theater, Speech and Dance Lowry Marshall.

"36 Views" is playing Oct. 13-16 and 20-23 at 8 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays. Tickets are $15 general admission, $10 for seniors, faculty and staff and $5 for students with ID.