East Side drainage more effective than other neighborhoods, officials say

After several weeks of record-breaking rainfall, Brown students navigating Brook, Angell and Thayer streets have been found jumping over puddles and investing in rain boots just to make their way to class.

Though drainage on College Hill is a nuisance to students, East Side residents and Providence city officials do not view it as a pressing concern.

Both Ward 1 City Council-man David Segal and Director of Water Works John Nickleson say they have not received many complaints about poor drainage from area residents.

"I think people are taking (the record rainfall) into consideration," Segal said.

On the East Side, the amount of standing street water has not been atypical relative to the amount of rainfall, Nickelson said.

The capacity of the sewer systems is designed to maximize drainage, and because the effectiveness of the system has not decreased, "there wouldn't be any reason to make changes," Nickelson said.

For her part, Alexandra Moskovitz '07 said she believes the city should "definitely" invest in improving drainage on the East Side. The excess water in the streets "makes it hard to get around," posing a safety issue for both cars and pedestrians, Moskovitz said.

However, when compared to those living in other areas of Providence, Brown students have a leg up in coping with flooded streets, Nickelson said. The University's hilltop location is advantageous for speeding up the drainage process, he added.

Other parts of the city, especially those located close to the Providence River, have faced more serious flooding. Branch Avenue, Charles Street, Silver Spring Street and Atwells Avenue have all experienced flooding due to river overflows in the past few weeks, Nickelson said.