Female student robbed at gunpoint near Young Orchard Friday night

Two men brandishing a gun and knife robbed a 21-year-old female student at the intersection of Young Orchard and Cooke streets around 10 p.m. Friday night.

Eileen Robinson '06 was walking back to her off-campus apartment on Governor Street when two white males approached her and demanded that she hand over her possessions. Robinson handed over her shopping bag, a change purse, 10 dollars, her Brown ID and her driver's license. After she told the robbers that she had no other items, they ran south on Cooke Street and entered a four-door white car. The car then turned left onto Power Street and drove away from campus. The robbers did not injure Robinson during the incident.

Robinson ran back to her house, located at 107 Governor St., and called the Department of Public Safety, she told The Herald. DPS called the Providence Police Department, which interviewed Robinson and searched the area for her attackers.

When the robbery occurred, Robinson had just returned to campus after shopping at the Providence Place Mall with friends. She walked back to her house alone after her friends went to Josiah's, she told The Herald.

"At the time I was trying to think how not to give them my ATM card, so I gave them those other things," she said, referring to her driver's license and Brown ID card.

Robinson was unable to see the car's license plate number. "It was dark and too far away," she said.

Robinson filed an official statement with the detective bureau at the PPD's downtown headquarters later Friday night.

On Saturday, Peter Manning, an employee at the Brown Bookstore, found Robinson's Brown ID and license on Benefit Street, according to a PPD report. The ID and license were turned over to the PPD, who searched for prints but were unable to find any.

As of Tuesday night, there was no new information on the suspects fit for public release, according to Detective Stephen Gencarella of the PPD. Robinson described the man who displayed the knife as approximately 5'8" tall and weighing around 200 pounds. The man who brandished the black handgun was the same height and weighed around 160 pounds.

Chief of Police Mark Porter e-mailed a crime alert - the first such alert of the semester - to the Brown community Saturday morning.

The case is currently under investigation by the PPD. Anyone with relevant information should contact the Providence Police Department at (401) 272-3121.