QA and CHC collaboration for HIV testing not an official co-sponsorship

Queer Alliance will provide free HIV testing on campus in March in cooperation with the Sarah Doyle Women's Center and the LGBTQ Resource Center. A story and accompanying headline in yesterday's Herald incorrectly described College Hill for Christ's general support for the event as an official co-sponsorship.

QA Co-President Josh Teitelbaum '08 said the group had not discussed holding the event in partnership with CHC, but he added that "we can talk about it now."

A formal co-sponsorship "raises some questions for us about how it affects our constituency if we partner with a group that has not always favored some of our members," Teitelbaum said. But he added that, "By no means are we anti-religion."

One CHC leader, Alana Rabe '08, said she attends QA meetings and planning sessions for the HIV testing event as a representative of the Protestant campus group.

"We support what they are doing with the event," Rabe said.

A date has yet to be determined for the QA testing event, which will provide entirely anonymous tests taken using an oral sample rather than drawing blood, according to Teitelbaum.

HIV testing by Brown Health Services is not free, requires drawing blood and is confidential rather than anonymous, Teitelbaum said.

Due to writer errors and a violation of Herald policy, Thursday's story incorrectly attributed a quote to Teitelbaum and included comments made by Gabriel Heywood '08 in an interview conducted several weeks ago.