Top Bike Ride

Streets of Providence

If you have a bike in Rhode Island, you are probably already acquainted with the East Bay Bike Path, the beautiful 14.5-mile bike path that takes you through some scenic greenery and quaint Rhode Island towns just east of Providence.

But if you're a city slicker looking for some fun and easy urban cycling, grab your wheels and head out towards Roger Williams Park in the southern part of the city. The mostly flat, roughly four mile ride will take you to some of the places you've never seen before - to the industrial neighborhood of the Jewelry District, the gritty but vibrant life of Broad Street and the most famous (and beautiful) park in the state.

Check your brakes and head down College Hill, towards downtown. Turn left on Memorial Boulevard and continue on it as it turns into Eddy Street. After riding underneath I-195, immediately take a sharp right onto Crary Street and ride up a block to find yourself in the midst of the Rhode Island Hospital grounds, a well-kept and attractive complex that abounds with trees and beautiful brick buildings.

After cruising around R.I. Hospital, head west on Dudley Street and turn left on Prairie Avenue. You can take Prairie all the way to the park, but I prefer to take a right anywhere on Prairie and ride three or four blocks down to Broad Street, one of the main thoroughfares in Providence. Take a left on Broad and cruise down the street to see one of the more vibrant, though seedier, parts of the city, home to street vendors and the Broad Street Farmers' Market (at 807 Broad St.) on Saturday mornings during the summer and early fall.

After about a mile on Broad or Prairie, the two streets will intersect just before the entrance to Roger Williams Park, which is clearly marked with a large sign.

Known as the "Jewel of Providence," Roger Williams Park is one of the nation's premier urban parks, and with small, rolling hills and wide lanes with little traffic, it's perfect for biking. Cruise around the lush park - but do be mindful of duck crossings. The fowls are abundant, living in the many ponds in the park, but you can be stopped for what seems like hours if the ducks decide the grass is greener on the other side of the street.

Bring a date to ride with in the cheesily romantic swan boats available for rent, or, if you prefer equine, hop on the merry-go-round in Carousel Park. If you're the academic type, check out the Museum of Natural History and Planetarium. The Roger Williams Park Zoo is also worth a visit.

This route is about four miles long, so give yourself half an hour each way for travel and at least an hour in the park if you haven't been there before. Bring a map, and try a different route on your way out to explore a new part of the city.