After another active offseason, the AL East will be exciting again

Tru Story

It's been another tumultuous offseason in the American League East. The Yankees made their usual big-money free agent signing and the Red Sox re-tooled their entire infield. The Blue Jays made moves that could finally make them relevant again, the Devil Rays' super-talented flock of prospects is finally ready to mature into big-league stars and the Orioles, well, they signed Kevin Millar. Who'll take baseball's most over-exposed division?

Ross: The 2006 edition Bronx Bombers have a chance to match the offensive fireworks of the 1927 New York offensive machine affectionately dubbed "Murderer's Row." What else matters when your first six hitters are Johnny Damon, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Gary Sheffield, Jason Giambi and Hideki Matsui? 900 runs is a realistic goal for this group ... 1,000 maybe?

Tom: Your love of the halfling's leaf has clearly clouded your mind. The Yankees will have the worst corner outfield defensively in recent memory, with Sheffield and Matsui recently ranking as last and second-to-last at their respective positions, according to ESPN's Peter Gammons. Robinson Cano was the worst defensive second basemen in the game last year, A-Rod checks in as the worst third baseman at fielding bunts and Derek Jeter continues to be the most overrated defensive player in baseball, ranking in the bottom three in the league at shortstop. I won't even touch Damon's arm (reminiscent of a mix of Vince Young and my girlfriend's throwing motion), Jason "I look like the unathletic fat kid who trips over himself in little league" Giambi at first or Jorge Posada's deteriorating skills behind the dish. With an aging staff, the Yanks have no one to catch the ball.

Ross: Defense is as overrated as your girlfriend, pal. The Yankees will be terrible in the field and mediocre on the mound and still win 98 games. The real story in this division is the Toronto Blue Jays. Spring will unthaw the long-frozen tradition of winning baseball in Toronto, with several blue-chip prospects stepping out of the solid carbonite like Han Solo to make a wild card run in '06. A.J. Burnett, Roy Halladay, Gustavo Chacin, Josh Towers and Ted Lilly will combine to have the AL's third-best ERA (behind Chicago and Oakland). A vastly underrated bullpen will be bolstered by a true closer in hurler B.J. Ryan. Years of conservative roster management and an increase in payroll are paying off for the blue birds, as they have found the droids they were looking for.

Tom: As I recall, Han Solo was blind for like a day after getting unfrozen, so I think it's safe to say that Vernon Wells ... is blind? Whatever. The Blue Jays are the real story? Toronto's General Manager, J.P. Ricciardi, must have used some sort of Jedi mind trick on you. There is an infinity percent chance either Burnett or Halladay will miss significant time, and despite picking up third baseman Troy Glaus and first baseman Lyle Overbay, the offense simply isn't good enough to survive anything short of a perfect season from their front of the rotation starters.

It's about time that one of us mention the real division champs: The Red Sox. This team won as many games as the Yankees last year with an out-of-shape, injured and ineffective Curt Schilling, no closer and zero offensive production from its first basemen. Boston has brought in a young, potential staff ace in Yankee killer Josh Beckett, revamped its bullpen and traded for Coco Crisp. The Sox will also unleash top pitching prospects Jon Papelbon, Jon Lester and Craig Hansen, and the team brought in at least six more bloody socks for Schilling.

Ross: Engage the conveyor belt and let me torch this argument piece by piece. News flash: Curt Schilling isn't going to be Curt Schilling ever again. He's toast. Theo, et al. should be happy with 10 wins, 130 innings and a mid-4 ERA from the aging star. "Yankee killer" Josh Beckett has never pitched more than 178 innings in a season, and he sported a 2005 road ERA, almost two points higher (4.38) than in pitching-friendly Miami. I agree that Boston has a lot to look forward to, but Lester's ETA is 2007, Papelbon won't start more than 15 games and Hansen will only close after a couple more months of Keith Foulke implosions - and by the way, his knees and confidence are both still shot.

Tom: Let's take this argument ... south? To Tampa, that is. The Rays will be relevant for the first time since ... well, ever. With Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli and Joey Gathwright, the baby Rays have the best young outfield in baseball, and that's before you even factor into the equation Baseball America's top prospect, outfielder Delmon Young. B.J. Upton is one defensive level away from becoming an all-star, and we know Jonny Gomes, Jorge Cantu, Aubrey Huff and Julio Lugo are all going to hit Schilling. If Tampa Bay can ever find a couple starters to go with phenom Scott Kazmir, then maybe they can become a serious conten... (laughs) a serious con... OK, I can't say this with a straight face. The Rays will always be the Rays.

Ross: I knew you'd shy away from crossing me again. Obviously, you remember when I launched a trash can at your dome when you were only seven years old. Eight stitches? Tru story. You know what we see eye-to-eye on, little bro? Shut up, I'm about to tell you. The Devil Rays. I know we can root for this young team to provide us with some awesome fantasy sleeper. Now let's cuddle up around MLB.com and drool over spring training reports, eh brohan?

Tom: Mmm ... fantasy baseball. It's like crack cocaine with slightly worse side effects.

Ross Trudeau '06 finds it burden-some to be more attractive AND more talented than Tom Trudeau '09.