College Roundup

Professor resigns after allegedly showing bestiality video

A criminal justice professor at Grand Rapids Community College in Michigan resigned last month after allegedly showing a video in class of a man having sex with a pig.

Students and a faculty member told the Grand Rapids Press that Samuel Naves was flashing through video clips on his computer while teaching an introductory criminal justice class earlier this year. The video appeared on a projection screen, and students begged Naves to show the 10-second clip. Naves obliged, although he warned students it was explicit and gave them a chance to leave if they thought they would be offended.

Fred vanHartesveldt, faculty association president, said Naves was known for his blunt teaching style.

"His pedagogy was to teach real life," vanHartesveldt told the Grand Rapids Press. "His classes were very earthy. Some students took to that very well, and some students didn't."

A school administrator said Naves resigned Feb. 17 but declined to say why.

Student allegedly stabs professor over failing grade

A college student at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell allegedly stabbed one of his professors because he was upset over a failing grade.

Nikhil Dhar was arraigned in Massachusetts Superior Court Monday on charges of armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon causing seriously bodily injury and assault and battery, according to the Associated Press. He is currently in custody while a judge considers his bail request.

Dhar allegedly stabbed UMass Lowell professor Mary Hooker with a knife outside her Cambridge, Mass., home in December. He pleaded innocent at his arraignment in district court in December.

- Stu Woo