Corruption is main concern for Fogarty in campaign kickoff

JOHNSTON - Lt. Gov. Charles Fogarty officially kicked off his campaign to unseat Republican Gov. Don Carcieri '65 last night at the 1025 Club in Johnston.

Fogarty's announcement drew about 250 supporters, some sporting bowties and others in sweatshirts, as he declared his campaign will focus on ridding the state of corruption.

"We have to get rid of the stink, too much is at stake," Fogarty told The Herald after his speech. "We're going to shake up the system. This is about delivering results."

In his speech, Fogarty declared, "Corruption in Rhode Island has become a huge expense that we all pay" and said his main measures to fight corruption will be term limits for state officials and the full disclosure of "every meeting between public officials and lobbyists."

"(Corruption) is more often pursuing a personal agenda at the expense of the public good," Fogarty said. "So when I see Rhode Island under the cloud of corruption ... I know it's time for a fundamental change in the way our state does business."

But former Senate Majority Leader Paul Kelly said term limits will be a hard sell to state legislators.

"I don't think it will play very well with senators, but the (important) question is, will it play well with the people?" he told The Herald.

Anti-corruption has been a popular theme for many Rhode Island politicians over the years, though few have been successful. Former Mayor Vincent "Buddy" Cianci was first elected in 1974 on an anti-corruption platform but went to prison in 2002 for conspiracy.

But Fogarty's focus on corruption in the state government was well received by many prominent Rhode Island Democrats in attendance.

Providence Mayor David Cicilline '83, who was elected in 2002 on an anti-corruption message, told The Herald statewide reform is possible.

"(Reform) certainly is something he can accomplish," Cicilline said. "I think change is always difficult and it takes a lot of persistence and hard work."

Two longtime friends of Fogarty's, former U.S. Sen. Claiborne Pell and his wife Nuala, were also on hand.

"We support Charlie not only because we have known him and what a good man he is," Nuala Pell said. "If you're totally honest, as Charlie is, and show leadership, you'll be able to be effective."

Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-R.I., was also at the event and told The Herald he supports Fogarty's plans to reform Rhode Island politics.

"There is a real challenge here to bring transparency, to see the effort of public policy," Kennedy said. "Charlie is talking about (how corruption) is costing us all money."

Fogarty drew wild applause from the audience when he denounced Carcieri's expansion of the number of slot machines in the state.

"He expanded gambling - the largest expansion in Rhode Island's history - but he broke his commitment to use that money for a scholarship program," Fogarty said.

On education, Fogarty said, as governor, he would implement a freeze on tuition at Rhode Island's public colleges and universities for all students with a B average or above. Other tuition increases would be "no more than the cost of inflation," he said.

Fogarty also discussed health care and the need for "a leader who recognizes that our small- and medium-sized businesses are the backbone of our economy and the key to job growth."