Major resignations may hinder U.'s plans

Three top posts to be vacated this summer

When Provost Robert Zimmer assumes the presidency of the University of Chicago this summer, he will leave his senior administrative post at the same time that the dean of the college and the vice president for research step down. With the risk that vacancies in three top posts could stall University decision-making and projects, University officials say they aim to quickly name replacements for all three positions.

Zimmer leaves the University at a time when the provost's role is increasingly important. The University is pursuing new initiatives as part of the Plan for Academic Enrichment, and President Ruth Simmons is spending much of her time away from campus promoting a $1.4 billion fundraising drive.

"It's always a challenge when a senior administrator leaves. The timing can be better or worse depending on the circumstances," said Professor of Cognitive and Linguistic Sciences Sheila Blumstein, who served as interim president prior to Simmons' arrival. "This is a wonderful opportunity for (Zimmer), but unfortunately I think the timing is not great for Brown."

Simmons told The Herald Zimmer's departure will not hurt the University because his role will be quickly filled in order to sustain continuity. "We have a good number of people in place who have the institutional memory to continue the work. We have momentum. Once we appoint someone, we'll be able to move ahead without skipping a beat," she said.

The details of the search process for a new provost are not yet clear, but Simmons said she is currently soliciting feedback from administrators, department chairs, faculty leaders and the Undergraduate Council of Students to determine how the search should work.

"It's entirely possible" that the next provost will be appointed from within the University, Simmons said, adding that she hasn't yet decided whether external candidates will be considered.

"My hope is that we will undertake a process that will not be too lengthy because I think most people would like to see the position filled as soon as possible without sacrificing quality," Simmons said.

Simmons suggested that a new provost could be selected prior to Zimmer's June 30 departure; the University could face serious challenges if the slot is vacant when Zimmer leaves for Chicago.

"A lot of things are going to be in limbo," said Professor of Cognitive and Linguistic Sciences Kathryn Spoehr, who previously served as provost and dean of the faculty.

Spoehr emphasized the provost's importance in a wide variety of academic matters, such as faculty hiring and the administration of academic programs. She cited the recently announced joint venture between the University and Microsoft to research pen-based computing as an effort that required the support of the provost and vice president for research. "If there are any other of those kinds of opportunities sitting on the horizon, we as an institution won't be able to pursue them" if both positions are vacant, she said.

Even if a new provost is in place as soon as Zimmer leaves, he or she will likely need time to get acclimated to the position and won't be able to immediately make major decisions, Blumstein said, explaining that it will take Zimmer's successor - even if he or she is already at Brown - time to learn about University priorities and the status of major projects.

"Whoever comes in is basically going to have to assume (Zimmer's) agenda, internalize it and implement it," she said. "Of course the new provost will have his own agenda, but it is very hard to undo commitments and plans. If you do, you lose momentum."

Simmons said she does not foresee the need to appoint an interim provost while a lengthy search is undertaken. An interim appointment - if Simmons were to make one - could significantly disrupt the momentum of the University's projects, Blumstein said.

"You can't commit the University to new projects and new financial undertakings and responsibilities if you're not the one who is implementing them. It's not fair or appropriate for the person who eventually will fill that role," Blumstein said.

"Interim appointments are never particularly desirable. ... This is a moment where you don't want to feel that you are losing time," said Deputy Provost Vincent Tompkins '84. "Higher education is a very competitive environment in which no one else is standing still, so there are dangers to an institution from treading water. I think that's what we'd like to try to avoid."

Tompkins said Zimmer's departure is "significantly less disruptive" than it could be because "this is happening at a moment when President Simmons is here in full stride helping to advance the University's agenda both internally and externally."

But the need for Simmons to appoint a provost comes in the middle of the Campaign for Academic Enrichment, which frequently draws the president to far-flung locales to woo donors.

"The president is still here, though her time and attention are very heavily directed to the capital campaign," creating a "major challenge" for her and the University, Spoehr said.

Simmons acknowledged that Zimmer's departure has led her to re-align her priorities to include the search for a new provost.

"I will spend as much time as I need to make sure we get an exceptionally well-qualified person in this position. ... I'm already taking on some of the things that the provost would normally do," Simmons said. "That's the normal process at a university when positions turn over, so it's not unexpected that this is the kind of thing that would happen during the course of a campaign."

In addition to the provost's departure, two other top positions will soon be vacated. Dean of the College Paul Armstrong and Vice President for Research Andries van Dam both announced late last year that they would relinquish their administrative duties to return to teaching and research at the end of this academic year.

Both Blumstein and Spoehr said Zimmer's departure could affect searches for these two positions. Both the dean of the college and the vice president for research report directly to the provost, and candidates might be reluctant to accept the jobs without knowing who the next provost will be.

But Simmons said it is impossible to know whether candidates for the two positions would be affected by the provost vacancy until job offers are extended. "As a general rule, it shouldn't affect the ability of people to make a decision," Simmons said, though she acknowledged that it might for some people.

The timeline for filling the dean of the college and vice president for research positions is not entirely clear. Tompkins, who staffs both search committees, said the search for the vice president for research is already nearing completion, and a new dean of the college should be appointed by July 1.

Simmons said she might decide to delay filling the two positions if a new provost appointment is "imminent," but otherwise she will likely move ahead on selecting candidates for the jobs.

Tompkins said he expects both positions to be filled quickly, but "I think if (both positions) are vacant on July 1, then we'll have difficulties," he said.