Man drives car into Andreas

A man drove his car into the main entrance of Andreas Restaurant early Friday evening after the owner of the restaurant had asked him to leave, causing minor damage.

The man, who seemed intoxicated, entered the Thayer Street restaurant around 5 p.m. and began "mumbling and ranting" to customers, according to Manager Shaina Brais. When Andreas' owner asked the man to leave, he became belligerent.

The suspect left the restaurant and got into his car, a Ford Explorer, according to Brais. He proceeded to reverse out of a parking spot outside of Shanghai and drive into the entrance of Andreas on the corner of Thayer and Meeting streets, according to Brais.

He then reversed away from the restaurant and drove down Thayer Street. Passersby and restaurant patrons took note of the license plate number and reported it to the Providence Police Department.

The car shattered the glass in the front door and damaged the doorframe, Brais said. She said she did not know if there was any damage to the restaurant's foundation or how much repairs would cost. A temporary wood covering is in place until further repairs can be made.

Brais said the suspect was in a wheelchair and was approximately 40 years old. She said she had seen him on Thayer Street before and remembered that the man had visited Andreas last summer. At that time, he mumbled under his breath while he ate at the restaurant and was "a little belligerent," she said.

"We kept an eye on him and he left (after his meal)," Brais said. On Friday the man did not eat at the restaurant.

As of Sunday evening, the PPD had not found the suspect or his car, Brais said.

The PPD could not be reached for comment.