UCS approves resolution opposing pluses and minuses

Impeachment notices dropped

The Undergraduate Council of Students passed a resolution opposing the addition of pluses and minuses to the University's grading system at its meeting Wednesday night.

Dean of College and College Curriculum Council Chair Paul Armstrong attended the meeting and discussed his support for the new grading system, reiterating the points he made at the plus/minus forum on March 2, but the resolution still passed without objection.

Associate Vice President of Campus Life and Dean for Student Life Margaret Klawunn also attended the meeting to discuss the final report from the Ad Hoc Committee to Review Social Events Policy and Procedure. Several UCS members objected to the report's suggestion that intoxicated students be banned from social events. Klawunn said the idea was to stop the prevalence of "pre-gaming."

"That's the really dangerous behavior - that's where your fellow students wind up on ventilators because they're almost dying," Klawunn said. "We're saving people's lives every weekend with (Emergency Medical Services), but we don't want to be using that. We want students to understand how dangerous that is and to stop drinking on that (high) level."

Klawunn also discussed the report's recommendation that Sayles Hall be not used for future events. She said large events may be held at Andrews Dining Hall or a renovated Bear's Lair in the future.

Although nine UCS members were served notices of their potential removal at last week's meeting, no one was impeached Wednesday night, and the topic was not addressed. UCS President Sarah Saxton-Frump '07 told The Herald that the matter would be dropped because there was no action taken.

UCS also categorized two student groups and uncategorized five student groups. Amaaz, a South Asian journal of arts, received category I status, while the Jabberwocks moved from category II to category III. Chaise, the Tikkun Club, Brown's Disability Awareness Council, the International Association of Exchange of Students for Technical Experience and the Brown Animal Rights Coalition were uncategorized for various reasons.

Representative Michael Glassman '09 said UCS has $29,000 to spend on student summer storage and will institute a program similar to that of last year, when UCS handed out $50 storing vouchers to 700 students.