Chafee '75 critiques Bush administration's fiscal policies

Sen. Lincoln Chafee '75, R-R.I., discussed his key votes in the Senate on environmental protection, the war in Iraq and budgetary issues in Carmichael Auditorium last night before a group of nearly 50 students and community members.

After attending today's demolition of the Jamestown bridge, Chafee appeared animated as he discussed unchecked spending on the part of President George W. Bush's administration and thwarted budgetary reform. Five months away from a Republican Senate primary election against Cranston Mayor Stephen Laffey, Chafee's lecture centered on explaining his voting record.

Chafee said he is frustrated with the Bush administration's support of tax cuts that are not accompanied by a decrease in federal spending.

"Three or four months after (former) President (Bill) Clinton vetoed a $400 billion tax cut plan ... President Bush planned a $1.5 trillion tax cut," Chafee said.

When explaining how to trim federal expenditures, Chafee alluded to famed bank robber Willie Sutton. "Like when he was asked, 'Why do you rob a bank?' He replied, 'That's where the money is,'" Chafee said.

In an interview with The Herald after the lecture, Chafee said the result of the Republican Senate primary election rests on the turnout of unaffiliated Rhode Island voters.

Chafee acknowledged a concern that "if there is a vigorous Democratic primary, then that may pull away some independent voters from the Republican primary."

The Rhode Island native said he would "play whatever cards are dealt." But "I definitely need as many unaffiliated voters as I can get," he added.