Police Log: $23k worth of iPods reported missing from bookstore

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between March 24 and April 6. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Friday, March 24:12:30 a.m. Complainant reported that a known subject harassed him in New Pembroke. The incident has been brought to the attention of the Office of Student Life.

Tuesday, March 28:(No time specified.) Complainant reported the Brown Bookstore was missing several iPods amounting to approximately $23,493. DPS detectives are investigating the incident in cooperation with bookstore personnel.

4:38 p.m. Complainant reported a possible violation of a restraining order. DPS Special Victims Unit and DPS Detectives Unit are providing the complainant with support.

Thursday, March 30:8:44 a.m. DPS and PPD officers responded to complainant's report that a known subject assaulted her while she was parking her car on Benevolent Street, a report corroborated by witnesses' accounts. DPS Special Victims Unit is providing support for the complainant.

Friday, March 31:12:00 a.m. Complainant reported four male subjects approached him as he was about to enter his dormitory on Prospect Street. One of the subjects pushed him and took his Brown ID. The subjects then left the area, and the student contacted DPS when he returned to his room. The student declined support services.

Saturday, April 1:1:00 a.m. DPS and PPD Officers responded to a report of an attempted break-in at the corner of Thayer and Waterman streets. The officers noticed four broken basement level windows and searched the building in vain for a suspect. A witness reported seeing a male subject wearing a brown sweatshirt kicking the windows. Upon further investigation of the area, officers found a male subject fitting the description and interviewed him. The subject, a Brown student, later admitted to committing the crime. PPD officers took the subject into custody and transported him to PPD's downtown headquarters.

Monday, April 3:4:00 p.m. Complainant reported his bicycle, a silver 12-speed hybrid, was missing from a bike rack on Manning walk. Complainant said he put his bicycle in the basement bike room of Harkness House at approximately 12:00 p.m. on Friday, March 24. When he returned from spring break on April 3, he saw his bicycle in the Manning walkway bike rack. Complainant left the area for class and decided to return later to retrieve his bicycle from the rack, only to find it gone when he returned.

Wednesday, April 5:4:34 p.m. Complainant reported her wallet was removed from an unattended desk in Barus and Holley between 10:20 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 4. There are no suspects at this time.

Source: Department of Public Safety