Police Log: Laptops, jewelry, wallets reported stolen during Spring Weekend

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between April 21 and April 24. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Friday, April 21:1:45 a.m. Complainant reported several of his articles of clothing were taken out of dryers in a laundry room in Archibald House. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.

2 a.m. Complainant reported her laptop, camera, jewelry box and wallet were stolen from her unsecured room in Poland House between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m.

Saturday, April 22:1 a.m. Complainant reported his cell phone, bank card and $10 were stolen from his room in Mead House, which he left unsecured for approximately five minutes while taking a shower.

1:30 a.m. Complainants reported that a laptop, iPod, several compact discs and DVDs were stolen from their unsecured suite in Vartan Gregorian Quad A between 12 a.m. and 1:30 a.m. The residents said they have had difficulty securing their suite door and have contacted Facilities Management to repair it. There were no signs of forced entry, and there are no suspects or witnesses at this time.

3 a.m. Two complainants reported that sometime between the hours of 11:15 p.m. on April 21 and 2:50 a.m. on April 22, a computer monitor and $80 were stolen from their unsecured room in Mead House. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.

10:45 p.m. Complainant reported her laptop was stolen from her room in Woolley Hall between 5 p.m. and 10:45 p.m. The student said the main door to her room was secured, but a side door to a kitchen was unsecured. There are no witnesses or suspects at this time.

Sunday, April 23:3:15 a.m. Complainant reported his laptop was taken from his room in Archibald House sometime between 3 a.m. and 3:15 a.m. The complainant's roommate was in the room at the time of the larceny. The roommate stated that an unknown person, whom he believed to be the complainant, entered the room and began shutting down the computer. The roommate said the suspect's voice and physical features resembled the complainant's, so he went back to sleep. Upon waking 15 minutes later, the roommate stated he noticed the laptop missing and the same subject tampering with his Xbox. The suspect left the area when questioned. The suspect was described as an approximately 5'8" white male with a crew cut and a thin, athletic build.

Monday, April 24:12:05 a.m. Complainant reported his backpack and several other items were taken from a laundry room in Mead House. The backpack was later found, but its contents were missing. There are no witnesses or suspects at this time.

3:06 p.m. Complainant reported that two male subjects yelled obscenities at her from their vehicle while she was walking south on Hope Street near the Olney Margolies Athletic Center. The subjects were described as white males with brown hair who were between 40 and 50 years old. A bias-related incident form was filed with this report, and the matter is under investigation.

Source: Department of Public Safety