Prof. weighs primary challenge to Carcieri '65

Michaud Ph.D. '02 cites governor's "aggressive" dissuasion tactics

Dennis Michaud Ph.D. '02, adjunct assistant professor of economics, is considering a challenge to Gov. Don Carcieri '65 in the Republican gubernatorial primary this fall, but he said Carcieri's "very aggressive" response may convince him "it's not worth it."

Michaud, a moderate Republican, is currently a business consultant specializing in strategy and corporate governance. He has also worked for two international money center banks and was involved in the start-up of six medium-sized companies.

Michaud said he might ultimately decide to challenge Carcieri because he "could not stomach the thought of him being in there another four years." A challenge to Carcieri would "make traction" and could defeat him, Michaud said. But he has not yet decided whether to run and will make his choice in the next few weeks, he added.

"I think Governor Carcieri is a fine and decent man, but he is completely unqualified to be governor, and he has learned absolutely nothing in the last three years," Michaud said. "I doubt anything will be different in a second term."

Carcieri's office and campaign did not respond to multiple requests for comment. Michaud cited poor economic policy and what he described as an unwillingness to deal with the Democrats who dominate the State House as some of Carcieri's major shortcomings. Both failings are present in the ongoing battle - which he described as an "open war" - over the state budget, he said, which is facing a deficit of $300 million.

"Honestly, in all my years - in the private sector for 25 years and this is my fourth year on the Brown faculty - I've never seen such a mess," he said. Michaud cited his knowledge of "bargaining and negotiating" as one of his strengths. He is currently writing a book on that subject that he hopes to finish this summer.

Michaud also criticized Carcieri for failing to create new well-paying jobs and for treating Rhode Island's economy as a suburb of Boston, an approach that works to the Ocean State's detriment.

"I don't think that any state should surrender its economic policy to another state," he said.

Michaud said Carcieri has been "very aggressive" in trying to forestall any primary challenge.

There have been "a lot of people attacking me, and I haven't even made a decision," he said, making his decision more difficult. Michaud said Carcieri prematurely "floated the story" that Michaud would run in order to disrupt his planning.

"It's sad," Michaud said. "At some point, you have to weigh the benefits to the personal costs. ... You become so concerned for your family's well-being that it makes you think twice."

Darrell West, professor of political science and director of the Taubman Center for Public Policy, said he did not "see the rationale for (Michaud's) candidacy."

"Michaud's a novice candidate," West said. "I don't see anybody beating (Carcieri) in the primary."

Michaud, however, does not think Carcieri is a shoo-in. Carcieri "has a problem and he knows it," he said.