Refreshments not provided at UCS meeting

Much to the disappointment of Herald Campus Watch Editor Stu Woo '08, refreshments were not served at the meeting of the Undergraduate Council of Students Sunday night.

"Man," Woo sighed, "not even a single cookie?"

Dejected, Woo resigned himself to covering the UCS meeting without even a bite of a brownie, a crumb of a cookie or a morsel of a marshmallow. Woo told The Herald the situation was "the most difficult of (his) entire life."

"Midway during the meeting, I just started getting all itchy and then started shaking because of the lack of nourishment," Woo explained as he wolfed down a cheese steak sandwich with onions early this morning. "I thought I was going to die."

The topics covered at the meeting did nothing to aid Woo's predicament.

Woo said he found the meeting to be more boring than a New York Knicks basketball game, Mitch Albom's bestselling memoir "Tuesdays with Morrie" and last week's UCS meeting, combined.

"I mean, the few minutes with (Associate Vice President of Campus Life and Dean for Student Life) Margaret Klawunn were ... magical, but much too short," said Woo, who reportedly blew a kiss at Klawunn as she left the meeting.

The meeting ended abruptly at 10:14 p.m. when Vice President Zac Townsend '08 ate President Sarah Saxton-Frump '07 to assume the UCS presidency.

Woo, determined to fulfill his duties for The Herald, persevered throughout the entire ordeal. Soon after his itching and shaking spell started, Woo excused himself from the meeting and ran down to the Campus Market, where he purchased a Teriyaki Slim Jim and a bottle of Cherry Vanilla Coca-Cola. The entire trip, amazingly, took only 16 seconds, enabling Woo to return to the meeting without missing anything important.

The Campus Market goods were enough to support Woo through the rest of the meeting - barely. The itching and shaking subsided momentarily but returned to full force near the meeting's end. Despite all this, Woo still managed to record every word of the meeting in his notebook and write a stellar piece, garnering a record 20 reads on browndailyherald.com.

"I was going into seizure near the end of the meeting, but I knew I had to do this," Woo said. "If not for myself, then for The Herald. I just wanted to give my editors the top-notch reporting that they've come to expect from me."

Woo's article about the UCS meeting has been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize of College Journalism. The winner of the award will be announced April 14 at a banquet in Seekonk, Mass. Woo, in anticipation of his victory, recently rented out Spats restaurant on Angell Street for an after-party. As of last night, three invitations had been sent to Klawunn.