Police Log: Stolen laptops, other thefts make up summer crime

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between June 1 and July 13. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Friday, June 9:Between 9 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. Complainant reported cash was removed from an unattended pocketbook in Andrews Dining Hall. There are no suspects at this time.

Saturday, June 10:Between 9 a.m. and 6:15 p.m. Complainant reported a laptop was removed from her unattended apartment on Benevolent Street. It is unknown if the area was properly secured. DPS detectives are investigating the incident.

Sunday, June 25:Complainant reported three laptops were removed from the Sharpe Refectory, which was unsecured, between 3 p.m. on June 24 and 8:30 p.m. on June 25. The building is under renovation. There are no suspects at this time. DPS detectives are investigating the incident.

Thursday, June 29:Between 1 p.m. and 1:05 p.m. Complainant reported his wallet was taken from the dispatch window in the Center for Information Technology. The wallet was later recovered in a nearby restroom, and cash and an ATM card were reported missing.

Saturday, July 8:Complainant reported her secured bicycle was removed from outside her Charlesfield Street residence between 9 p.m. on July 5 and 7:09 p.m. on July 8. The bicycle was secured with a combination cable lock and registered with the DPS Crime Prevention Unit. DPS detectives are investigating the incident.

Monday, July 10:Between 10:30 a.m. and 1:40 p.m. Complainant reported her secured bicycle was removed from a parking meter on Waterman Street. The bike was secured with a kryptonite lock. There are no suspects at the time. DPS detectives are investigating the incident.