Two assaults, property damage reported

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Aug. 29 and Sept. 8. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life.

Saturday, Sept. 2:10:45 p.m. Complainant reported she left a brown travel bag in University Lot 64 after unpacking her vehicle. When she realized she forgot the bag, she returned to her vehicle and discovered the bag was missing. A search of the area was unsuccessful.

Sunday, Sept. 3:1:29 a.m. Complainant reported he was approached by four male subjects and assaulted while walking in Archibald House. The subjects, who are believed to be Brown students, then fled the area. DPS detectives are investigating the incident.

Tuesday, Sept. 5:11:46 a.m. Person reported that a metal sign was missing from Corliss-Brackett House, which houses the Office of Admission. She noticed the sign was missing when she entered the building at 8:15 a.m. Another sign in the area also appeared to have been tampered with. The Department of Facilities Management was notified.

Wednesday, Sept. 6:9:42 a.m. Person reported someone had scratched an epithet on an exterior door of the Sarah Doyle Women's Center. The supervisor of Service Response was contacted to repair the door.

2:05 p.m. A Facilities Management staff member reported four down spouts and one gutter were removed from several University buildings on Pembroke Campus. There are no suspects at this time.

9:42 p.m. DPS officers responded to a report of two male subjects stealing a box of doughnuts from two Brown students. The two complainants reported walking near Waterman and Thayer streets when two male subjects approached them and grabbed their box. When the complainants exchanged words with the male subjects, one subject struck a complainant several times. A security guard was in the immediate area and came to the assistance of the complainants. PPD officers responded to the scene.

Source: Department of Public Safety