Student dies while on leave from U.

Arin Adams '07.5 died Monday morning in her family's Detroit home. The 21-year-old was the daughter of Detroit Deputy Mayor Anthony Adams.

Adams was living with her family and taking courses at the University of Michigan and Wayne State University while on leave from Brown, according to a campus-wide e-mail sent by Dean of the College Katherine Bergeron and interim Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services Russell Carey '91 MA'06 Tuesday evening.

Adams was a history concentrator who planned to pursue a Ph.D. in American history, Bergeron and Carey wrote. She was also a 2005 recipient of a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship. Adams was also a Writing Fellow, a Meiklejohn Advisor, a student member of the University Disciplinary Council and a Minority Peer Counselor during her time at Brown.

Michael Chapman, vice president for public affairs and University relations, could not provide further information Tuesday night concerning Adams' death.

In a statement released Monday by Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's office, Press Secretary Matt Allen requested that Detroit residents "respect the deputy mayor and his family's privacy as they mourn the loss of his daughter."

A Detroit Police Department investigation has determined that no foul play was involved, according to the statement.

As of Tuesday evening, no new information was available, according to Kilpatrick's Deputy Press Secretary James Canning.

The Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life "will host an informal gathering" at 4 p.m. today in the Memorial Room of Faunce House "for students who would like to come together for support and to remember Arin," according to the e-mail.