HPV vaccine now available at Health Services

On Nov. 8 Health Services began to offer the new vaccine against human papillomavirus (HPV), which can cause cervical cancer. The Food and Drug Administration approved the vaccine, Gardasil, for girls between ages 9 and 26 in June.

Gardasil is available by appointment at Health Services, said Director of Health Services Ed Wheeler during an information session in Wayland Lounge Nov. 7. About 50 women have already gotten the vaccine this semester, according to Health Services Nurse Practitioner Cynthia Capra. She wrote in an e-mail to The Herald that Health Services is now prepared to give 70 injections per week.

"We're hoping that sexually active women, (as well as) women who aren't sexually active but will be, get the vaccine," Wheeler said. "Personally, I think it's really an exciting thing."

Gardasil requires three injections. The second injection is given two months after the first, and the third is given six months after the first, according to a flyer distributed at the information session. The three injections are paid for separately and cost $140 each. Since the injections are given separately, students can receive some of the injections from their medical providers at home.

Though it does not protect against all types of HPV, the new vaccine covers the four types (6, 11, 16 and 18) that are linked to 70 percent of all cases of cervical cancers and 90 percent of all cases of genital warts, Wheeler said. He added that several studies have found that nearly 50 percent of sexually active female college students test positive for HPV, though most do not show symptoms, and their bodies clear the infection naturally.

The vaccine is not currently approved for men, though Wheeler said he believes it soon will be. "If you think about it, men are at least half the problem," he said.

"They've done some antibody tests for men," Wheeler continued, but "the consequences for women statistically are much, much greater. ... I think that's why they focused on women first."

Capra said the vaccine is proven to last four years, though the immunity conferred will likely last much longer.

Not all insurance providers cover the vaccine at present, said Health Educator Jennifer Cherry at the Nov. 7 information session. She urged students to bring their insurance cards to the pharmacy at Health Services to find out whether their insurance covers the vaccine, adding that Health Services "is good at finding loopholes" in insurance policies. Cherry said many policies, including the University's, have clauses that cover all immunizations for people under the age of 19.

Cherry wrote in an e-mail to The Herald that she plans to make table slips and a brochure to spread the word about the vaccine over the next few weeks.

Gabby Salazar '09, who attended the information session, said she has been waiting all semester for Health Services to provide the vaccine and plans to get it right away. "It may seem like a lot of money, but it's worth it in the long run," she said, adding, "It's not as expensive as cervical biopsies."

Allison Barkley '07 was also enthusiastic about the vaccine. "I think it's really important," she said. "I think all women at Brown should know about it."