Mantak: Take care of friends at parties

Every Brown student knows someone who has been sexually assaulted, according to Director of Health Education Frances Mantak.

Mantak spoke to a group of about 30 students, more than half of whom were men, about date rape and sexual assault last night in a panel organized by Joshua Wilson '05, Melba Melton '06, Delta Tau and Health Education. The goal of the discussion, arranged in response to a Feb. 6 sexual assault outside the Liquid Lounge at 165 Angell St., was to dispel common myths about sexual assault and inform students of pertinent resources on campus.

Mantak emphasized that sexual abuse and assault can happen to anyone, regardless of race, gender, education and sexual orientation. Though Brown doesn't have its own statistics, on the national level, one out of 10 college women has been raped in her lifetime and 10 percent of all sexual assaults happen to men, she said.

According to national statistics, the majority of sexual assault victims know their assailants. "We focus on strangers, but this is disproportionate to reality. The more we focus on strangers, the less we can recognize actual perpetrators," Mantak said.

Although many students believe that Rohypnol, known as "roofies," is the most common date rape drug, alcohol is the actual culprit, she said. Alcohol does not cause sexual abuse, but it does exacerbate it, she added.

Mantak also discussed the effects of sexual assault on victims and their friends. She quoted a residential counselor, whose words she thought accurately summed up attitudes at the University: "People feel like, 'I was smart enough to get into Brown, I'm smart enough not to get sexually assaulted.' If it happens, you feel stupid and don't want to tell."

In fact, victims of sexual assault blame themselves to regain a sense of control over their situation, Mantak said. "When people are in situations over which they have no control, like sexual assault, they focus on what they as individuals did or did not do. They blame themselves," she said.

Victims also isolate themselves from the world to cope with the intense emotional pain they have experienced. "People dissociate from their surroundings and feelings as a way to manage them. The pain becomes projected inward onto themselves or outward onto others," Mantak said.

The best way to prevent date rape or sexual assault is to go to parties with people you trust, Mantak advised. "If you go out with people you trust, they will take care of you if there is a problem or you have been drugged," she said.

Many students who have been treated for overuse of alcohol by Brown Emergency Medical Services are victims of "date rape" drugs whose friends have protected them, she added.

When sexual assault does occur, the best way to help a friend is to stay calm, Mantak said. "Most victims of sexual assault are afraid to get help, so if someone tells you about it, it is a gift," she said. She advised students to use the words "I believe you" and "It's not your fault" when talking to the victim. She also urged that professional help and medical attention be sought within 72 hours of a sexual assault.

Finally, Mantak emphasized maintaining a positive outlook when dealing with sexual assault. "Please keep believing in the possibility of healing. There is a way out," she said.