Recent post office evacuation highlights policies for suspicious mail

In what campus officials called a rare occurrence, the post office in Faunce House was evacuated on Aug. 31 after workers discovered a suspicious package. The package was "ticking" - a fact that frightened post office staff and caused them to call the Providence Police Department's bomb squad, according to Fred Yattaw, manager for University Mail Services.

The package was found to contain a harmless guitar and metronome, which had been responsible for the ticking noise, Yattaw said. He added that the decision to evacuate was in accordance with "standard procedure" for incidents involving suspicious mail.

"We don't take any chances," Yattaw said.

In addition to the PPD, both the Department of Public Safety and the Office of Environmental Heath and Safety responded to the incident "to ensure the safety of all individuals and personnel in the area," said Michelle Nuey, manager of special services for DPS. "Our officers are trained to investigate suspicious mail properly," she said, adding that DPS is sent guidebooks by the U.S. Postal Service that detail specifically how to handle suspicious mail.

According to Yattaw, similar incidents have occurred before but are very rare.

"This is not a common problem," Yattaw said. "The last time this happened was last year in September. A package came in that was secreting a white, powdery substance - people had to be isolated." The "powdery substance" turned out to be artificial sweetener.

Though that incident was particularly worrisome due to the international anthrax scares in recent years, Yattaw said he believes the heightened security and concerns regarding incoming mail stem from the activity of Theodore Kaczynski. An infamous mail bomber who was active from the late-1970s until the mid-1990s, Kaczynski is commonly referred to as the "Unabomber."

"Before they captured the 'Unabomber,' people were concerned and over-examined everything," Yattaw said, adding that the current security procedures in the post office are directly related to Kaczynski's string of bombings.

On a page that describes the University's policy for handling suspicious mail, the Web site for the Office of Finance and Administration specifically references concerns about both anthrax and Kaczynski.

"Mail that might appear suspicious has become a common concern for those whose responsibility it is to process the University's mail as well as those in receipt of incoming mail," the Web site reads. "In 1993, the 'Unabomber' setn [sic] explosive devices through the mail, in 2001, letters were mailed that contained anthrax bacteria."

When asked if he believes suspicious mail poses a significant danger to the Brown community, Yattaw said the system in place for handling such situations is more than sufficient to deal with any threat that might arise.

He pointed to the multiple steps involved in screening mail as another factor that increases safety.

"Remember, we aren't even the first step; packages that come to us have already been screened once or more by the time they get here," Yattaw said, referring to the couriers and agencies that handle and deliver mail.

Yattaw offered a few words of advice to Brown students and parents sending mail. "First, turn off all power sources for alarm clocks and metronomes," he said. "But most importantly, make sure everything is secure."