UCS calls for Sudan divestment, debates pluses/minuses at length

Correction appended.

The Undergraduate Council of Students passed a resolution calling for the University to divest from Sudan and debated but did not vote on a resolution opposing the addition of pluses and minuses to the grading system during its general body meeting Wednesday night in Peterutti Lounge.

UCS also heard from Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services David Greene on changes to the Minority Peer Counselor program and the ongoing review of the University's social events policy.

The plus/minus debate centered on whether a resolution on the issue should be voted on immediately or at next week's meeting, after a UCS-sponsored forum on the subject scheduled for March 2. The draft of the resolution calls on the College Curriculum Council not to vote in favor of the plus/minus proposal and encourages all faculty members to vote against the plus/minus proposal if it does come to a vote.

Ultimately, Vice President Zachary Townsend '08, who authored the resolution with Tristan Freeman '07, chair of the Academic and Administrative Affairs Committee, and two other UCS members, withdrew the resolution after an hour of debate, including four straw polls about whether to table or pass the resolution.

"My assumption is if we pass it on (March 8) we could pass it unanimously," Townsend said, adding that "we gain very little passing it today rather than then."

"It's bizarre for us to come out with a policy statement when forums haven't been held yet," said Class Representative Michael Glassman '09.

Motions were called to pass the resolution multiple times, though an objection was filed each time followed by speakers for and against immediate action on the resolution.

"We cannot represent students if we have no position," Freeman said, adding that "not voting would be process gone too far and run amok once again."

The faculty "want to get around students," said Appointments Chair Benjamin Boas '06.5, adding that "we're standing up to them."

Greene also updated UCS on a number of issues regarding the campus. The University is trying to increase the number of "good residence halls," Greene said.

"The University is better served if more students live here, but to do that we have to have more attractive housing," Greene said.

Faunce House and the Sharpe Refectory will be undergoing renovations, and the 24-hour Friedman Study Center in the Sciences Library is "moving along very quickly in the design stage," Greene added.

Greene asked UCS for advice about continuing the Napster and Internet Protocol Television programs, saying the future of the programs would have to be determined before the end of the semester.

Greene also discussed the transition from the Minority Peer Counselor program to the campus-wide Minority Peer Mentor program, which he said is still in development. He said that problems persist over how to deal with the transition between the programs.

UCS President Sarah Saxton-Frump '07 made clear that there would be no change in the role of the residential counselors in policing residence halls, though Greene noted that there is no one in charge in residence halls under the current system. He listed recent graduates and community directors as possibilities for filling the void in residence halls, but said Department of Public Safety officers are "the wrong answer."

A sheet provided by Greene updating UCS on the work of the Ad Hoc Committee to Review Social Events Policy and Procedure includes the recommendation that students need assistance with managing the door at parties. Alumni Relations Liason Douglas Faron '06 said that professional bouncers would be too expensive but suggested creating a student bouncer position.

"Make it a desirable enough job that people won't screw up," Faron said.

A resolution was passed calling for the University to divest from Sudan. The Brown University Community Council passed a resolution supporting divestment last week.

"UCS support would add another layer," said Associate Member Michael Williams '08.

Townsend said that there is a proposal to create a science and engineering program similar to the Program in Liberal Medical Education in front of the faculty. "Science education doesn't really work in America," he said, adding that the question is whether "this type of education works."

Townsend said that he and Saxton-Frump had discussed with President Ruth Simmons "ideological concerns on the difference between a research university and a college."

Boas sought and received UCS's approval for Williams' appointment to the University Resources Committee.