Underclassmen takeover proves boon to DTau

Delta Tau, a fraternity known for its popularity with the wrestling team before it was taken over by about 30 first-years last spring, is experiencing a revitalization marked by a new image emphasizing equality, hard work and a good time, said DTau president Matt Dennis '09.

The fraternity saw its membership dwindle after wrestling coach Dave Amato issued an ultimatum in 2003 stipulating that members of the team could not join the fraternity. But DTau found new life when Dennis and 30 of his friends decided to join the fraternity and assume control of it.

"I saw it as an opportunity to revive something that was an old Brown tradition," Dennis said of the takeover. "It's been a lot of work, but also a lot of fun."

Of last year's pledges, none were wrestlers and very few were athletes, which has led to a change in image to go with the shift in leadership.

"Having 30 freshmen join at once overwhelmed the number of wrestlers, so even though there are some former wrestlers, we wouldn't call DTau a wrestling frat," Dennis said.

BoosFest, a Halloween-themed party held Oct. 28, drew 450 students into DTau's lounges over the course of the night. The brainchild of social chair Matt Conway '09, BoosFest was considered a massive success by the fraternity.

"There was such a long line that we couldn't get people in fast enough," Conway said. "I know first-hand that a lot of higher ups from Sigma Chi, (Delta) Phi and Phi (Kappa) Psi came by our party and specifically commented that they had a great time."

But Dennis and Conway were quick to point out that frat life isn't all fun and games, emphasizing the amount of work the fraternity members have done to get where they are.

"I had to meet with (the Student Activities Office) eight times and the city board three times just to get approval for our party," Conway said, referring to the Providence Board of Licenses. "We've certainly learned how to do things the hard way."

Not only has DTau had to cut through red tape, but Dennis and Conway said they've also been given a hard time by some members of nearby fraternities.

"We've gotten a lot of (expletive) from other fraternities on campus, especially those who are much more established than us," Conway said. "I think that was and is one of the hardest things for our frat."

Dennis added that hostility from other fraternities may stem from fear of DTau's rapid growth.

"Other than not joining their frat, we've done nothing wrong," Dennis said. "We had 30 guys join last year. ... Even though we're not very established, we're up-and-coming."

Another source of potential conflict is DTau's approach to fraternity life and the pledging process, which is much more laidback at DTau than at other fraternities.

"Our system is that we're a cohesive group of guys and we don't have that style of elitism where the top group of guys don't do anything and everyone else does all the work," Conway said. "Everyone does everything, which is why we're so much more productive."

Dennis also noted differences in DTau's attitude toward pledging.

"We're still trying to find our own pledging process, but it will be constructive, not destructive," he said. "Part of the traditional pledge process is destructive, and I don't believe in that. We're a democracy."

But Dennis conceded that DTau's communal approach to work poses certain complications.

"One thing that Sigma (Chi) has more than we do because of their pledge process is discipline," he said. "When I arrange a cleanup time and no one wants to clean up, there's no incentive to do it if there's 34 other guys."

Dennis added that he attempts to avoid being authoritarian, an approach that might differ from other fraternity leaders.

"I don't want to be that guy who's condescending because of a label. I want to take the authority to make things happen, but I don't want to talk down to my brothers," he said.

Despite DTau's relatively inexperienced leadership and ongoing adjustments to the rigors of running a fraternity, former president Eddie Chacon '07 said he is confident that DTau is in good hands.

"(Dennis) and the other guys are doing a great job," Chacon said. "He's been really good about not totally changing DTau and keeping some of the traditions alive."

Though Dennis is younger than most presidents, who are typically juniors or seniors, Chacon doesn't see Dennis's age as a problem.

"Even though (Dennis) is one of my little brothers, we treat each other as equals," Chacon said. "Typically DTau presidents are juniors, so it's not too different with Matt being a sophomore."

Chacon also mentioned that Dennis has the full support of DTau's alums, whom he said are delighted with the frat's newfound growth.

"Even though we're not comprised of athletes, the alumni are really supportive," Chacon said. "DTau used to be one of the largest frats on campus, so the alumni are really happy to see it growing again."

Looking to the future, DTau's members said they see success for the resurgent fraternity and hope to grow even bigger than they are now.

"By throwing parties like BoosFest, by mingling with freshmen and reaching out to them, I think we can get a decently sized pledge class," Dennis said. "We can take over the entire building if we get the members."