Black History Month begins with deconstruction of social progress

The Rev. Dr. Eric Michael Dyson launched the University's celebration of Black History Month Monday evening with a convocation keynote speech about "the nuanced and complex notion" of social progress "invested with racial realities." The address, a response to this year's theme for Black History Month, "Beyond Brown v. Board of Education: 21st Century Concepts of Progress in an Era of Increased Social Freedom," drew a large crowd in Salomon 101.

Dyson, who taught at Brown from 1992 to 1994, is currently a professor of religious studies at the University of Pennsylvania. He is also the author of several books, including "Is Bill Cosby Right?" and "Come Hell or High Water: Hurricane Katrina," and hosts his own syndicated radio show.

Daliso Leslie '09, the Third World Center programmer for the month's activities, said he became interested in Dyson after reading his book, "Is Bill Cosby Right?" Published after a series of controversial comments Cosby made in 2004, the book analyzes Cosby's criticism that the black community needs to take responsibility for social problems that affect many black Americans.

"(Dyson) actually took a look at Cosby's statements," Leslie said of the speaker's book. " (Cosby) didn't think before he spoke. ... (There were) a lot of things he said that he didn't take into account."

Leslie said he "was really impressed by (Dyson's) comments" and that Dyson's speaking ability made him an ideal choice for the keynote address.

Following a welcome from Leslie, Professor of Africana Studies Tricia Rose introduced Dyson. Rose called Dyson a "tour de force" and commended his "unflinching courage" and ability to challenge people of opposing views.

During his speech, Dyson cited race, gender and class as complex components of the "notion of progress" and criticized the use of "black bodies" "as the litmus test" for determining how far the nation has come since Brown v. Board of Education abolished segregation in public schools in 1954.

"If we're going to measure ... progress, we can't do it in a racist fashion," he said.

Dyson addressed the multifaceted issue of progress with illustrative, often critical and occasionally humorous references to pop culture, including rap artists, the degradation of black women, the Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake "wardrobe malfunction" Super Bowl scandal, the Bill Cosby controversy and Oprah.

At the end of the speech, he encouraged affluent and well-educated blacks to "muster the moral might" to address issues of poverty within their community.

Following a standing ovation, Dyson answered questions from the audience.

"I thought it was very challenging and engaging," Cory McAlister '09 said of the speech.

Madalasa Bista '08 said Dyson "was very well-spoken" and called the address "beautiful."

Programs for Black History Month will be held throughout February. Princeton professor and author Cornel West is scheduled to speak on "The Life and Legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr." on Feb. 2 at 4 p.m. in Salomon 101. Leslie said he is particularly excited for "Stomp the Yard," which "looks into the history of step shows" and the Black Love Forum and Dating Game scheduled for later this month.