Students praise Friedman Study Center despite lack of 'warmth'

The Friedman Study Center opened to much fanfare two weeks ago and has garnered rave reviews from students and administrators. But how useful is it as a place to, well, study?

Some students say they like its long hours, bright lighting and cafe, but others criticize an ambiance that they say simply doesn't feel like a library.

The center has attracted students who had previously preferred to study elsewhere. "I wouldn't study in the SciLi if it weren't for the Friedman Study Center," said Neerav Parekh '09. "It's nicer than any other study space at Brown."

Juli Thorstenn '09 agreed. "I used to never come to the SciLi," she said. "Now I come every day."

Several students said the use of natural lighting was their favorite feature. "I come here often because of the windows and the light," said Jessie Hopkins '08. "Every other building on campus has barely any light, making it hard to study."

"The natural lighting of the center really adds to the ambience," said Ysabel Gaspar '07. "It puts people in a good mood."

Students also praised the modern, minimalist decor of the center, describing it as a comfortable environment for studying. "The furniture is retro but new age. It's contemporary retro," said Vincent Paulino '07.

The collaborative workrooms are Zindzi McCormick's '09 favorite feature - she said Brown's campus had previously lacked spaces for groups to meet, and the new rooms give students a space for that purpose. But Paulino had one criticism of the rooms. "They're often taken up by just one person," he said. "Nobody is willing to go in and tell them to leave the space for groups."

Kelly Glaser '10 said she likes a lot about the center, including the furniture, layout of the space and the Friedman Cafe. But she dislikes that the center has the same institutional feel as other study spaces at Brown. "Plus, the cafe closes too early," she said. The cafe is open until 1 a.m., Sunday through Thursday.

The Friedman Cafe has met with approval for its practical layout. "There's much more choice in the cafe here, compared to that (in) the Rock," said Gaspar, who added that she likes how students can eat in the center, unlike in the Rockefeller Library, where food is only allowed in the lobby.

But students say the center is not without its flaws.

Many students have complained about the bathroom facilities. "They're awful," said Alyson Ahearn '08. "There is often not enough soap or toilet paper, and there is only one stall in the women's bathroom."

Some students also criticized the center's use of space. "There could be more tables, more working nooks," said Landon Kuester '07. "I don't think they divided up the space very well."

Dev Ratnan '09 said he is concerned that there aren't enough computers. "Every time I come, it seems someone is waiting to use a computer," he said.

Ratnan added that, although the whole modern design of the center is "cool," it doesn't seem to suit a library. "A library should be warm," he said. "The Friedman Center has so much space that it doesn't seem like a library."

Danielle Sheridan '10 agreed. "The Friedman Study Center is modern, but it's not warm," she said. "I think it would help if they put up some artwork on the walls. Art would give the space warmth."

The center is still a work in progress and will undergo improvements, said Russell Carey '91 MA'06, interim vice president for campus life and student services.

"As with other projects on campus, we will continue to assess how facilities and programs are working and adjust them as necessary," he said. "The primary goal of the center was and still is to greatly increase the amount of 24-hour study space, and we've done that."

The popularity of the Friedman Study Center has drawn students away from other spaces on campus. "I went to the Rock the other day, and there was barely anyone there," Ahearn said.

Paulino is another convert. "I used to go to the Rock often, but now I come here instead," he said

But computer science concentrators may still prefer to use the Sun Lab in the Center for Information Technology, and many students say they expect the popularity of the center to be short-lived, as they say novelty is its biggest draw.

"Like anything new, it's popular right now, but I'm sure it will change," Kuester said. Ahearn said she thinks the hype will likely die down in a couple of weeks.

Carey said it's too early to tell how popular the center will be. "It usually takes about a semester to see how people use a facility and how they feel about it," he said.

In the meantime, floods of students are filing into the center's three floors to study, eat and socialize. "I love the Friedman Study Center," Glaser said. "I feel more comfortable here than in my room. It is by far my favorite place to go, on or off campus."