W. swimming and diving comes in 6th at Ivy League Championships at Princeton

Correction appended.
The women's swimming and diving team wrapped up its season over the weekend with a sixth-place finish at the Ivy League Swimming and Diving Championships at Princeton. Brown completed the competition with 811 points.

Princeton was the competition's first-place finisher with 1,496 points, edging out Harvard, which finished with 1,408.5 points and Yale, which finished with 1,122 points. The University of Pennsylvania and Columbia placed fourth and fifth, and Dartmouth and Cornell rounded out the pool in seventh and eighth place, respectively.

"We felt pretty good about the outcome," said co-captain Ashley Wallace '07. "Everyone had a pretty good meet. We swam a lot better than we did last year, even though the standings were lower."

The Bears took a seventh-place finish in the first event of the competition, the 200-yard freestyle relay. Meredith Cocco '07, Sarah Goodman '09, Kathleyn Brandstetter '07 and Lauren Zatorski '08 clocked in at 1:36.22.

In 1-meter diving, Dana Meadow '07, Katie Olko '10 and Amy Latinen '07 reached the finals. Meadow finished sixth with 250.65 points, with Olko following in seventh with 227.25 points and Latinen in eighth with 223.50 points.

The squad followed up the strong diving performance with a sixth-place finish in the 400-yard medley relay - in which the team of Emily Brush '07, Ally Wyatt '08, Wallace and Becky Kowalsky '07 earned a time of 3:53.60. Later, in the 200-yard medley relay, Brush, Wyatt, Cocco and Brandstetter completed the event in 1:45.84 for fifth place.

Ainsley McFadgen '09 swam the 1,000-yard freestyle in 10:13.23 to place ninth out of a field of 28 swimmers.

In the 100-yard breaststroke, Wyatt clocked in at 1:05.38, good for sixth place. "Wyatt was in the finals for the first time, which was really exciting," Wallace said.

After her preliminary run, Brush earned a spot in the finals of the 100-yard backstroke. She finished fifth in the event, swimming a time of 57.53 seconds, less than two seconds behind first-place finisher Moira McCloskey from Yale.

In the 800-yard freestyle relay, Kowalsky, McFadgen, Wyatt and Brush earned sixth place with a time of 7:37.52.

Kowalsky and Wallace then grabbed slots in the finals of the 200-yard butterfly, finishing with respective times of 2:04.97 and 2:05.50 for seventh place and eighth place.

"I was pretty happy," Wallace said. "It wasn't my best time, and it was disappointing to be eighth, but I'm psyched to make the finals all four years. Not many swimmers do that. I was happy to be in the finals one last time."

It was also the last Ivy League Championship for Latinen and Meadow, who competed in 3-meter diving. Latinen placed 12th with 258.50 points, while Meadow earned 247.60 points for 14th place. Olko earned 240.30 points for 15th place in the event.

Later, the 400-yard freestyle relay team of Kowalsky, Brandstetter, Goodman and Brush swam a time of 3:30.15 for seventh place.

The Bears scored two other top-10 finishes during the competition. In the 1,650-yard freestyle, Dillon Delaney '10 clocked in at 17:08.77 for 10th place, and in the 200-yard breaststroke, Bailey Langner '10 checked in at 2:19.91 for ninth place.

Overall, Wallace said the squad's results this season were disappointing. "We didn't swim as well as we wanted to this season," she said. "We could have been closer to what we were last year."

But, Wallace noted, the team's chemistry was at an all-time high. "We really came together as a team," she said. "There was a lot of leadership coming from the seniors, and we had a lot more team spirit this year, more so than any other year."

An article in Thursday's Herald ("W. swimming and diving comes in 6th at Ivy League Championships at Princeton," Feb. 22) incorrectly spelled the name of Bailey Langner '10 and identified her as a member of the class of 2009.