Simmons gives $20,007 for senior class gift

If President Ruth Simmons' annual donations to the senior class gift campaign are any indication of her confidence in the graduating class, she's feeling especially optimistic this year. Simmons, who in years past donated an amount equal to the seniors' graduating year - $2,004, $2,005, $2,006 - this year announced at the senior gift campaign kickoff event last weekend that she will give $20,007 to their class gift campaign.

"I was very moved by the number of people on board and how well this class was organizing this effort," Simmons told The Herald, adding that it was a spur of the moment decision. "So I will have a shorter vacation this year."

The Brown Annual Fund, which last year raised $30.7 million from parents and alums, focuses more on rates of participation than the size of donations when coordinating the class gift, said Johanna Corcoran, the fund's assistant director for student programs.

"I had chills," Corcoran said of Simmons' surprise announcement. "She gave me goosebumps."

Last year, the fund received gifts from 64 percent of the graduating class, totaling about $19,000. This year's class has set the most ambitious participation goal yet, hoping that 70 percent of graduating seniors - or 1,071 students - will donate, Corcoran said. The class of 2005 holds the current record with 68 percent participation.

"We're trying to get people in the habit of thinking about giving back to Brown. The more people participate now, the more people will think each and every year about giving back," Corcoran said.

"What (Simmons' gift) really shows is her faith in the class - that they will reach the 70 percent goal," Corcoran said. "She's really putting down her two cents and showing she believes in the class and that they can reach this goal."

"The president, I believe, sees the senior class each year as an example to the rest of the community," said Priya Shah '07, the class gift committee's leadership co-chair. "So, promoting giving back to Brown encourages seniors to remember that the Brown Annual Fund is fundamental to providing all of our facilities."

Student organizers like Shah are working hard to fundraise for the gift. A large committee will hold events during the rest of the semester to encourage gifts, and several subcommittees are focusing on Greek organizations, international students and athletes, among others. Shah said an anonymous donor has promised to match gifts from graduating seniors.

The kickoff event last weekend featured student performance groups, remarks from Simmons and an opportunity for students to socialize. "This was the first event of its kind for the rest of the semester that emphasizes the need to give back to Brown and make that first gift before we walk out of the Van Wickle Gates," Shah said.