M. and w. golf struggle in spring break tournaments

Both the men's and women's golf teams faced difficult competition at tournaments over spring break.

The men's golf team traveled to Richmond, Ky., to compete in the two-day Eastern Kentucky Invitational on March 30 and 31. The team placed 12th out of 15 teams, with two players finishing in the top 20.

Larry Haertel '08 led the Bears with scores of 73-73-71 for a total of 217, good enough for 13th place. His teammate, Conor Malloy '09, finished 19th with scores of 73-75-70, for a total of 218.

The women's golf team had its first tournament of the season, in Wilmington, N.C., on March 26 and 27. Brown finished last out of 15 in the three-day University of North Carolina-Wilmington Seahawk Invitational. But at the Georgetown Invitational in Leesburg, Va, held Sunday and Monday, the Bears kicked it up a notch and placed 10th of 13, with one top-20 finisher.

Compared to the other teams at the UNCW Lady Seahawk Invitational, Brown was at a disadvantage in experience. Princeton - the champion of the Georgetown Invitational - was in its fifth tournament of the season, while the UNCW tournament was Brown's first competition.

Blythe Crane '08 led the team as the 48th overall finisher with scores of 77-78-83 for a total of 238. Tiffany Wade '08 also played consistently with a score of 85-83-83, which put her in the 74th overall spot.

In the second tournament, the team improved its standing. Crane placed 17th in the two-round tournament with a score of 157. Holly Snyder '09 and Elizabeth Fisher '07 both placed 47th overall with scores of 168.

The women's golf team will next compete in the Dartmouth/Harvard Triangular on April 14 and 15 on Cape Cod before it heads to the Ivy League Championship at the end of April. The women should see tough competition in Cape Cod as Harvard and Dartmouth recently played tournaments in California and Virginia, respectively.

Meanwhile, the men's golf team is getting set for the two-day Yale Spring Opener at New Haven, Conn., this weekend.