M. tennis collapses against Cornell, Columbia

The men's tennis team's Ivy League struggles continued over the weekend. The Bears dropped matches to Cornell and Columbia, bringing their Ivy season record to 0-4. On Friday, the Bears absorbed a 5-2 loss to the Big Red, and on Saturday they fell 5-2 to the Lions.

Against Cornell, the Bears gave up the doubles point despite an 8-4 win by co-captain Dan Hanegby '07 and Saurabh Kohli '08 at second doubles. Hanegby and Kohli also won their respective singles matches, but the wins were not enough to put Brown in front. At first singles, Hanegby defeated Nick Brunner 7-6, 6-1, while at fourth singles, Kohli overpowered Rory Heggie 6-3, 6-2. Basu Ratnam '09 and Noah Gardner '09 took their matches into third sets, but Ratnam narrowly lost 6-7, 6-1, 7-6 at second singles, and Gardner fell 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 at sixth singles.

Hanegby and Kohli took charge again the next day against Columbia. At first doubles, the team crushed Marty Moore and Paul Ratchford by a score of 8-1, but losses at second and third doubles gave the Lions the doubles point. Hanegby defeated Mark Clemente 6-2, 5-7, 6-2 at first singles, and Kohli took a 6-4, 6-4 win over Moore at third singles. Meanwhile, Zack Pasanen '07 fought a close battle at sixth singles, trading tiebreakers with Justin Chow before dropping the third set super-breaker 10-6. Co-captain Eric Thomas '07 had a three-set contest of his own at fourth singles, but he eventually fell 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.

The Bears will host Dartmouth on Friday in their last home match - and, they hope, first win - of the Ivy League season.

- Erin Frauenhofer