Part of UEL garden will be relocated to make way for Walk

Student and community gardeners' fears that the Urban Environmental Lab's community garden would be threatened by the construction of the Walk were assuaged Thursday night as Facilities Management officials presented a plan to them that would relocate - not destroy - some plots.

Relocation of the garden will be necessary to make way for the Walk's path from Lincoln Field to the Pembroke campus, The Herald reported last fall. At the time, there were worries about the future of the UEL and the garden. Under the plan presented to about a dozen gardeners last night, the UEL building will not be moved but some of the garden's plots will relocate from their current location to the opposite side of the building.

"The idea of the Walk is to really create a series of green spaces in between Pembroke campus and the main campus," said Michael McCormick, assistant vice president for planning, design and construction. But "the garden right now kind of sticks out into the space," he said.

"We'd like to relocate and recreate some existing beds," said David Laplante, program manager for Facilities Management and head of the project. Laplante said the planting beds' soil could be stockpiled or barreled until it could be relocated into the new beds.

Among other improvements in the works are new perimeter fencing, a path in the garden that would connect to the Walk and a row of fruit trees selected by the gardeners, Laplante said.

The UEL's community garden was established in 1983, and though its original purpose was to produce the maximum amount of organic food the small space allowed, it also fostered interactions between Brown and the Providence community.

"The way it works is, people from the community each get their own plot and grow whatever they want, as long as it's organic," said Jeremy Forster '07, one of the UEL's student gardeners. "They don't have to be associated with Brown at all - that's a big misconception - although there are professors, there are grad students who also garden."

Laplante told the assembled students and gardeners that the Walk project could be a boon for the garden. "The (new) plot square footage is comparable," he said. "If we go with tighter bed space, I think you can get more usable space for your beds."

The presentation was followed by a question-and-answer session in which gardeners were able to express their concerns, including the increased shade caused by the Walk's trees.

Participants in the meeting emphasized the need for cooperation among Facilities Management, the gardeners and the architect team responsible for the Walk. Laplante suggested that the gardeners create a small group to collaborate directly with the landscape architect and design the garden's layout.

"It's really a blank slate," Laplante said. "We're willing to work with you. If you folks want us to put down good soil and sod and walk away, we can do that."

The first phase of the demolition plan will begin on April 16, though Laplante said it will focus on the area immediately next to the garden. The second phase, which will affect six beds, begins Sept. 1. The gardeners can either use only the untouched beds or utilize all of the beds but harvest the crops before demolition begins.

Laplante said the timetable is rushed because construction of the Walk was moved up to coincide with the installation of an updated high temperature hot water and cold water piping system this summer.

"We would have liked to have done this in a more timely manner," Laplante said. "But we have the time to work with the designers ... so you're ready to plant your new garden next spring."

The gardeners attending the meeting were generally positive about the relocation plan.

"It's been a gift from the University," said Deb Newton, a community gardener. "It's not just a garden, it's a community, and it's great to have the opportunity to include these new features."

"I think the plan is going to end up being a much nicer, pleasant space for everybody," said Professor of Biology Osvaldo Sala, director of the Environmental Change Initiative. "We're going to have the same area of garden, but surrounded by a much nicer environment."

The new garden will hopefully be ready for planting in spring 2008, Laplante said.