Plans for closed Smith Swim Center still undetermined

The University is continuing to evaluate its plans for the Smith Swim Center, which was closed indefinitely on Feb. 13 over concerns about the integrity of the building's roof.

The 34-year-old facility, which contains a pool and six squash courts, was closed for four weeks in December and January to install temporary support beams in the roof. The center reopened briefly from Jan. 17 to Feb. 13 but was closed again after the building's architect, Daniel Tully, completed a more thorough review of the structure.

"We are focused on determining what our options are," said Russell Carey '91 MA'06, interim vice president for campus life and student services. "There are a broad number of people involved in assessing and determining what makes the most sense for the short term and long term."

Carey said he could not provide a timetable as to when the University will decide on a course of action.

"We want to be moving forward quickly, but we need to make sure we make an informed decision," he said.

Because the process of evaluating how to move forward with the center is still ongoing, Carey said he could not say how problems in the roof developed. Carey also said he could not provide the cost of temporary repairs to the facility.

When reached by phone, Tully referred The Herald's questions to Brown Facilities Management and said he was not authorized to release any information about the evaluation of the Smith Swim Center.

He did say the center's hyperbolic paraboloid design, a structure that he patented, is a "wonderful structure" that is "extraordinarily strong."

According to the Web site for Tully International Inc., Tully's firm Tully International Architects and Engineers has designed athletic and recreational facilities at a number of colleges and universities.

Tully's firm also designed the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center, which was built in 1980.

Director of Swimming and Aquatics Peter Brown said the swim center's closure has been an inconvenience but that he recognizes the complexity of the situation. "The University has been sincere in its efforts in coming up with a workable solution," he said. "It's a complicated issue and an unusual problem. There's not a simple, easy solution to this."

Brown said he has been honest with recruits about the situation, telling them that the University is taking a hard look at the problem and that he is confident they will come up with a solution.

"Each option has its pluses and minuses, but I want to emphasize that a lot of people are working very hard to come up with the best possible solution," he said. "We need to figure out what's best for the University as a whole."

The men's and women's swimming and diving teams, which are in their off-seasons, have been training at Fox Point Boys and Girls Club in Providence twice a week.

The women's water polo team has been in a more difficult situation. Its season has been devoid of home matches since Feb. 11, the last day of the Ivy Tournament. The Bears have been practicing at pools throughout the region.