Rain puts brakes on m. and w. golf teams

The men's golf team competed in the New England Golf Division I Championship at the Triggs Memorial Golf Club in Providence last weekend, shooting a 308 on Saturday, which put them in ninth place out of 17 teams. Unfortunately for the Bears, the second round was cancelled in anticipation of inclement weather.

But Larry Haertel '08 returned to the course on Sunday morning to compete in a sudden-death playoff, where he became the first Brown golfer to win the New England Championship since it was established in 1934.

Haertel was tied for first place with Pat Beverly from the United States Military Academy with a one-under-par 71 at the conclusion of the first round on Saturday. In the sudden death playoff on Sunday morning at the 402-yard par-four first hole, Beverly made par. Haertel outclassed him, though, hitting the ball within five feet of the hole and then draining the birdie putt for the win.

"I play to win," Haertel said. "The coach told us to play our best round on the first day with expectations of cancellation of the second round due to weather. Fortunately, I was able to do that."

This is not the first time Haertel has made history for Brown. He was also the first Brown golfer to win the Ivy League Championship last year.

"Larry boosts the team and set a high standard for everyone to follow," said Head Coach Mike Harbour.

Chris Hoffman '09 also played well, shooting a 76, the second-best for the team.

"Hoffman has been playing phenomenal golf. He works very hard on his swing and this is a great preparation for him for the Ivy (League Championship) this weekend," Harbour said.

Brown's other three players, Ryan Larson '08, Conor Malloy '09 and John Giannuzzi '10, carded rounds of 80, 81 and 82 respectively.

"These guys did not play to their full potential this weekend. But they know they can win and are ready to go the Ivy this weekend," Harbour said.

The men's team will leave on Thursday for the Ivy League Championship at Galloway National Golf Club in Galloway, N.J. According to Harbour, this year's Ivy Championship is going to be the closest competition in years. Despite the tough competition ahead, the team's spirit is high.

"We have the potential to win the Championship and we want to win it," Hoffman said. "My goal for myself is to stay positive and give every shot everything I have."

Last weekend, the women's golf team also participated in its last tournament of the season before the Ivy League Championships. The Bears competed against Harvard and Dartmouth in the Dartmouth Triangular tournament at Cape Cod Country Club. Like the men's team, the two-day event was shortened to just Saturday due to the weather. The Bears finished third with 334 points while Harvard took first place with 309 points.

Leading the team were captain Blythe Crane '08 and Tiffany Wade '08, who both shot 81. But both felt they did not play to their full potential.

"It was a disappointing day for me. I came back strong in the end so I finished with a mediocre score, but I know I could have done better," Crane said.

Crane was named all-Ivy last year and hopes to earn the honor again. Head Coach Danielle Griffiths feels Crane has the capability to play well.

"Crane has been the leader for the team for the last two years. She has played consistently and she has a good chance to do well at the Ivy this weekend," she said.

Wade is looking to straighten out her swing and finish in the top 10 at Ivies.

"It was a transition year for the team. There was a lot of adjustment. But overall, I think we showed improvement this weekend and that's an encouragement for the upcoming Ivy," Wade said.

Griffiths said Princeton, Harvard and Yale are the top teams this year. Brown's main competition will be against Dartmouth, the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia.

"We are optimistic and are excited to play in the Ivy this weekend," Crane said.