Senior gift campaign garners 36 percent participation so far

As the end of the academic year approaches, members of the Senior Class Gift Committee are optimistic about reaching their ambitious participation goals for the class of 2007's senior gift.

As of last week, about 550 students - around 36 percent of the senior class of 1,548 students - have either donated or pledged to donate to this year's gift. The 40 members of the committee are aiming to get donations from 70 percent of the senior class - the highest goal for participation that has ever been set for a senior class gift - and the committee's chairs are confident they will meet that goal, said Johanna Corcoran, Brown Annual Fund's assistant director for student programs.

To reach the goal of 70 percent participation, over 530 additional seniors must pledge to give to the gift by the deadline - the end of the fiscal year on June 30.The current record for senior class participation is held by the class of 2005, with 68 percent giving that year.

"I think the class of 2005 showed Brown that seniors can come together to accomplish something really extraordinary and are seen as a way to encourage future senior classes," Corcoran said.

Neil Hamel '07, one of the gift committee's co-chairs, said he is "a little nervous, because we're getting towards the end of the semester, but I know we can make that push."

The gift is already at a record amount thanks to a donation of $20,007 from President Ruth Simmons. Simmons had previously given donations equal to the number of the class year - for example, $2,006 to the class of 2006's class gift - so the large donation came as a surprise to the members of the committee. The donation showed a vote of confidence in this year's class, Corcoran said.

"It gave us so much of a boost and really inspired us to reach our goal," said Priya Shah '07, the class gift committee's leadership co-chair.

Various events - such as a kick-off event last month with Simmons - are used to solicit donations. Any event that may have a high concentration of senior attendees, like the upcoming carnival sponsored by the Special Events Committee, are targeted by the gift committee, members said.

One of the most effective means of garnering donations, though, is more personal - members of the committee make lists of close friends and acquaintances to target for donations.

"Making the donation both personal for them and personal because of the relationship with me is very helpful," Hamel said.

Committee members try to point out to potential senior donors how important the Brown Annual Fund - the fund that receives the money collected by the class gift - is to the University.

"Pretty much any group you're in on campus is funded by alumni and the senior gifts," Hamel said.

Seniors are asked to give at least $20.07 but are encouraged to give more. Currently, the largest donation from a member of the class of 2007 has been $1,000. But many opt for the $20.07 and consider it a small price to pay for all their experiences at Brown.

"Even if you're a student, $20 is nothing," said Sinan Mellaart '07, who said he has given to the gift.

Some students note their gratitude to Brown as one of the main reasons they donate. "This place makes you a totally different person from your entrance to your exit. Brown deserves these donations," Mellaart said.

Mellaart said his donation was the first he wants to give to Brown. "I see $20 or $50 as just the beginning of my future of donating to Brown. I'll hopefully be able to donate a lot more later on," he said.

Though some seniors donate to the fund, others either refuse or need more convincing. Shah said she has heard all the excuses - students often respond that they are already paying so much in tuition or that a tiny donation will not effect change on campus, compared to the huge donations from alumni.

But Shah said she points out the large costs of running the University, adding that she believes in the importance of participation from students and alums - a continued interest in Brown from alums and students helps the school rise in various rankings.

Still, there will be those who refuse to budge. Shah said she once sat down with a friend for over an hour, debating on whether he should donate. "I don't think he's given in yet, but I'm still on it," Shah said.