U. replacing grass fields behind OMAC with turf

As Brown welcomes new students this fall, the football team will also greet two new turf practice fields. The new fields, which will replace the grass practice fields behind the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center, are expected to be completed Aug. 15 for use during the coming season.

According to Director of Athletics Michael Goldberger, the operation began one year ago. "We brought in outside consultants, Cannon Design, to look at all of our athletic facilities," he said. "They spent three months evaluating our facilities, then came out with their recommendations."

Cannon Design's top concern with Brown's athletic facilities was the poor condition of the grass practice fields, which suffered from drainage from Stevenson Field during inclement weather conditions. "We have an incredible shortage of playable fields," Goldberger said. "The fields behind the OMAC are so wet. When it rains, they become unplayable."

The new turf surfaces will stand up to the wet weather conditions in Rhode Island because they are permeable, permitting water to drain through them, and have a rubber granule infill that maintains elasticity when covered in frost and allows for snow to be cleared more easily. Turf can also withstand more frequent usage, up to three times the number of hours per year recommended for grass fields, which must lie fallow to recover from overuse. The new fields will also have new lights, giving teams greater flexibility in planning practice sessions.

After Cannon Design's assessment of the grass fields, the athletic department made swift progress towards installing the Field Turf fields. "The Sports Foundation raised the money and it happened very quickly," Goldberger said. "Construction began in May and will be completed in August."

John Berylson '75 provided the lead gift toward covering the $3 million cost, which also includes the price of installing 724 spectator seats on the one existing turf field. Lead gifts from the Meister family - including Rich '75, Steve '76, John '79 and Charlie '81 - and Bill Kavan '72 contributed to improving the existing field and now the spectator stands. The added seats will increase the field's usability as a venue for men's and women's lacrosse games early in the season or during inclement weather.

Likewise, the new turf fields will not benefit only the football team. Goldberger said the lacrosse, baseball and soccer teams, as well as intramural teams and club sports teams, may all gain from the new fields.

Still, the football team, which has been most troubled by the inadequate grass fields where the team practices daily during the season, is likely the biggest beneficiary of the new turf surfaces. "They were absolutely delighted when they found out," Goldberger said of the football team and staff.

The new fields, which will measure 370 feet by 380 feet, were designed by Gale Associates and are being installed by R.A.D. Sports, which installed the turf at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., home of the New England ?Patriots.