Bears games now available online

Brown sports fans might have eagerly awaited Thursday's women's soccer game as the home opener for the 2007-08 sports season. But Brown athletics officials were closely watching another debut - the University's new online broadcasting partnership.

This summer, Brown signed an agreement with B2 Networks that will allow the Internet broadcasting company to televise Brown home games during the school year. So far, B2 has agreed to broadcast at least 120 games in 13 varsity sports. B2 will also broadcast a few road games, as well as coach's shows.

"I think it is a tremendous plus for Brown University," said Chris Humm, director of sports information. "We have so many athletes who excel in their sports, and people on a worldwide basis can watch these games now."

Watching the games, which can be accessed at brownbears.com, will not be free. Individual games cost $6, while a yearlong pass costs $145. Football, basketball and hockey fans can also buy sport-specific packages at discounted rates.

Humm said the broadcasts are intended primarily as a service for parents and alums, but they could turn out to be a money-maker for the athletics department. In the future, B2 will evenly split the subscription revenue with Brown. Currently, B2 is receiving all the revenue to pay off the new equipment the company installed at Brown athletics facilities.

Director of Athletics Michael Goldberger said he's been trying to broadcast games online since he took his position in July 2005. A group of varsity volleyball parents from California approached him with the idea, he said, but he couldn't find a feasible way to broadcast the games until this summer, when B2 approached the department.

A list of games that will be broadcast online can be found at brownbears.com.