Beloved cheesesteaks out at Jo's

If your favorite snack at popular nighttime eatery Josiah's is the Philly cheesesteak sandwich, you're going to be out of luck the next time you have a late-night craving.

Jo's has made several changes to its offerings this fall, and - according to Director of Retail Dining Operations Jacques Larue - more are underway.

"People get tired of eating the same thing," Larue said. "There are new trends in the market in terms of food, and we try to follow them."

Gone are the stir-fry and nacho stations. Instead, Jo's introduced a grilled sandwich station, which has weekly specials and seems to be successful so far, judging from the long line that formed there last Thursday about an hour after Jo's opened.

"People like it and think it's a good change," Larue said. "They are responding very well."

"I haven't really noticed any changes at Jo's except for the grilled sandwiches, which I really like," said frequent customer Alexis Anselin '10.

But some students can't seem to get over the disappearance of the cheesesteak. "I like the changes in the layout, but not the changes in the menu," said Colin Fitzpatrick '09. "The absence of the cheesesteak sandwich breaks my heart and ruins my Friday nights."

On the Jo's agenda for the coming year: apasta station, carrying both regular and whole wheat pasta; healthier cereals and bars in the Grab-and-Go section; weekly specials in each station; a farmer's market cart that sells local products; and a sound system that will be installed in the next few weeks.

Dining Services is also toying with the possibility of introducing a create-your-own-salad station over winter break. "It is important to give customers healthy foods, variety and choices," Larue said.

In addition to menu changes, students can expect more events. "We are going to try to have another theme dinner and movie nights probably three times a semester," Larue said. "As soon as shopping period is over, it will be easier to implement changes. I think it's going to be an exciting year."