EMS calls down for Orientation

Amid mixed reviews from students and praise from University officials, this year's revamped Orientation schedule has yielded at least one noticeable success - fewer alcohol-related calls to Emergency Medical Services. Administrators attributed this decline, primarily, to a different Orientation schedule from last year.

Ten alcohol-related calls and two emergency room ambulance transports were made between Saturday, Sept. 8 and Sunday, Sept. 9 this academic year, compared to 18 calls and seven transports over last year's first weekend, said Margaret Klawunn, associate vice president for campus life and dean of student life.

"The weekends are structured differently this year, so it is not completely comparable," Klawunn said. Last year, freshmen moved into dorms starting on a Wednesday, while they moved in this year on Saturday, Sept. 1.

Overall, Klawunn characterized this year's Orientation as a success, adding that in terms of alcohol consumption, this year "seems to be better than last year," she wrote in an e-mail to The Herald. Klawunn attributed the drop in EMS calls to the shortened, concentrated Orientation schedule and the change in move-in days.

The weekend freshmen and early-arriving upperclassman moved in began Saturday, Sept. 1, and saw seven calls and two Emergency Room transports, while no calls were made during the first academic weekday nights, Klawunn added.

"There were a lot of activities," Klawunn explained, noting freshmen meetings with advisers, class meetings and academic seminars based on the assigned summer reading. "They have been quite full days."

Klawunn also pointed out that the University has taken concrete steps to minimize underage drinking during Orientation by providing information to freshmen via class meetings, an online orientation that dealt partially with alcohol and even an EMS truck that was parked on the Main Green during Orientation.

The new Orientation schedule had other benefits for freshmen, said Russell Carey '91 MA'06, interim vice president for campus life and student services.

"Moving in students on the weekend was very positive," Carey said. "It was more relaxed and less chaotic than move-ins during the week." He also said the weekend move-in made it easier for families to help students settle in and characterized this year's Orientation "very positive."

The many University-sponsored events "reduced a significant risk of harm for students, especially first-year students, around alcohol," Carey said.

Though the shortened Orientation may have cut down on alcohol-related incidents, several freshmen expressed criticisms of their first week on campus.

"I wish (Orientation) was longer, with more structured activities and time to just hang out," said Caroline Sedano '11. Sedano, who attended University-sponsored events and student-held parties during Orientation, said she was satisfied with the range of activities presented over the week and said Orientation was an overall positive experience - even though she felt it was short.

Nigar Akhmedova '11 agreed that Orientation was enjoyable, but she felt it was too long.

"We had class meeting and other activities in the evenings. There was enough (time) all morning and afternoon to just hang out," Akhmedova said. "There were long periods of time where there was nothing to do."